Jun 8, 2010, 5:45 PM EDT
This post over at the Pirates’ blog WHYGAVS is being rewtweed and reposted all over the Internet today because of a brilliant “How the Grinch Stole Christmas” riff on the whole Stephen Strasburg debut. And it is brilliant, so go check it out. But I like it much more for this passage from its author, Pat Lackey:
This is the most anyone besides Pirate fans will notice the Pirates all year. The Pirates are currently the national afterthought, the joke of a team that’s been sacrificed to the debut of the most hyped pitching prospect in the history of baseball. No one expects the Pirates to do anything in this game besides strike out nine or ten times, go back to the locker room with their heads between their tails, and give the huge assembled scores of media some nice quotes about how awesome Strasburg is.
And that’s all people should expect from the Pirates tonight. But no one wants to be a sacrificial lamb, and there’s going to be a lot of pride on the line for the guys in black and gold tonight. I sure as hell hope they go down with a fight.
Baseball is a team sport with a tough freakin’ learning curve. As I said this morning, I wish nothing but the best for Stephen Strasburg and I hope he has a great career. But at the same time, I wouldn’t mind it in the least if the Pirates — who are drawing comparisons to the Washington Generals for cryin’ out loud — lay the lumber to the kid a little bit to remind everyone that baseball is not best defined by huge, media-crazy moments like tonight’s game. It’s a game defined by the daily grind, stamina, perseverance and learning from one’s mistakes.
Go Strasburg, but go Pirates too.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 23
- The Troy Tulowitzki trade might be the strangest deadline deal ever 26
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects 84
- Alex Rodriguez celebrates 40th birthday with a home run 15
- Mets acquire Tyler Clippard from the Athletics 21
- Angels acquire Shane Victorino from Red Sox 25
- Happy 40th Birthday, A-Rod! 44
- Craig Biggio, John Smoltz, Randy Johnson and Pedro Martinez inducted into the Hall of Fame 41
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (156)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- MLBPAA announces “Heart and Hustle” award, given mostly to Americans and white guys (131)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)