Jun 8, 2010, 10:50 AM EDT
This is normally a retrospective feature, not an anticipatory one, but we all know what’s going to happen tonight: a normal baseball game in which Strasburg will either pitch well or he won’t but in either case all of the magic pixie dust will be gone and the hard business of actually, you know, forging his major league baseball career will be in front of him.
But that’s tomorrow. As of today anything is possible, so let’s capture that irrational exuberance for posterity!
- Kevin Reiss: “Zod kneels before Strasburg.“
- Pirates’ outfielder Delwyn Young: “I really couldn’t care less, to be honest with you. I got
nothing to say, really. It’s just another pitcher . . . Hey, Mark Prior.”
- Carolyn Johnson Thomas: “I like everything I read about him. He’s got great potential, and I
hope that he’s with Washington for 20 years, as my dad was.” [BTW: Ms. Thomas' dad was Walter Johnson. He pitched a little.]
- DangerNat of Nationals Inquisition: “After that first pitch tonight it is going to be
something to see thousands of Nats fans have a Strasgasm all at once.”
- Ken Burns: “This kid has a lot riding on his shoulders tomorrow night. It’s now
moved out of historical precedent and into kind of The Natural;
archetypal fiction in which we endow our baseball players with certain
superhuman capabilities that transcend the game and life itself.”
- Natasha Jasso: “Natstown is gonna be like church on Christmas and Easter; So many there– with so few who understand.”
Confession time: I want Strasburg to do well long-term because I love pitching and I want baseball in D.C. to be a success. But still, the hype is getting a bit much for me. When I woke up this morning I started thinking about how cool it would be if the Pirates came out and hung six runs on the kid as a little initiation to the big leagues.
Probably asking too much, sure, but this is baseball and all of the commotion is getting a bit too footbally for me.
- Blue Jays manager John Gibbons will return in 2015 0
- HBT Daily: Why did Frank Wren get the axe? 2
- John Schuerholz defines “The Braves Way.” And it’s a pretty big pile of crap. 57
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 26
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 42
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 46
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 58
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (124)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (89)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)