And That Happened: Tuesday's Scores and Highlights

Jun 9, 2010, 5:39 AM EST

Strasburg walks off.jpgNationals 5, Pirates 2: A star is born.

Giants 3, Reds 0: Not to be a killjoy or anything, but Matt Cain’s game score (76) was one better than Strasburg’s (75). Cain was dancin’ with the Devil, though, recording 16 fly ball outs in a park where you don’t want to be giving up a ton of fly balls.

Rays 9, Blue Jays 0:  And not to be a further killjoy, but Jeff Niemann was better than both Strasburg and Cain, shutting out the bashingest team in baseball on two measly hits.

Mets 2, Padres 1: And while we’re listing outstanding pitching performances, let’s not forget Mike Pelfrey, who went nine and gave up a single
run on five hits. Ike Davis hit a walkoff tater in the 11th too, which means that Strasburg wasn’t the only NL East rookie to have a nice night either.

Phillies 10, Marlins 8: Speaking of NL East rookies, how about Mike Stanton’s big league debut? It was a good one — 3 for 5, all singles and a run scored — but the Marlins’ pitchers and defensive game decided not to show up, basically gifting this game to the Phillies.

Brewers 3, Cubs 2: More great starts! Ted Lilly (8 IP, 4 H, 1 ER, 0 BB,
8K, higher game score than Strasburg) and Yovani Gallardo (7 IP, 4 H, 0
ER, 2 BB, 7K). Of course neither of them figured in the decision.

Rangers 7, Mariners 1: King Felix decided that he wasn’t going to be one of those sheeple, mindlessly joining in last night’s pitching party. No, he was his own man: 6 IP, 8 H, 7 ER.  Colby Lewis was game, though (7 IP, 4 H, 1 ER).

Twins 7, Royals 3: Hey, yet another kickass pitching performance: Kevin Slowey, seven shutout innings in which he gave up only three hits.  Meanwhile, Zach Greinke joins Felix Hernandez in the non-conformists club (5 IP, 9 H, 6 ER).  I guess those two are just the toast of 2009 compared to this Strasburg kid.

Dodgers 1, Cardinals 0: I’m struggling to recall a night with more great pitching lines. Let’s add Hiroki Kuroda and Chris Carpenter to the mix: 7 IP, 4 H, 0 ER 6K for Kuroda, 7 IP, 6 H, 0 ER, 5K for Carpenter.

Athletics 10, Angels 1: The A’s pitching was more of a group effort, with Vin Mazzaro going only five innings and four relievers joining him in collectively allowing one run on eight hits. The real star of the game was Kurt Suzuki, who went 4 for 5 with a homer and four RBI.

Red Sox 3, Indians 2: Tim Wakefield not only baffled the Tribe and got
the win, but he passed up Roger Clemens as the all-time Red Sox innings
pitched leader. Assuming Strasburg stays on regular rest, he gets the
Indians next. For those of you who think he only had a great night
because he faced a crappy lineup in the Pirates, well, you can just go
on thinking it, because there will be no evidence to the contrary
presented for a couple of weeks.

Tigers 7, White Sox 2: Armando Galarraga wasn’t perfect but he was good enough to win, scattering seven hits and two runs over five innings. Matt Thornton imploded for the Sox, giving up five runs on three hits and two walks in a mere third of an inning.

Yankees 12, Orioles 7: The Bombers bash the Orioles into submission, led by a Curtis Granderson grand slam and Nick Swisher’s five RBI night. Chad Gaudin coming in and giving up four runs in garbage time can’t be too comforting, though.

Braves 7, Diamondbacks 5: The Braves should have had a hell of a lot more runs than this, but they stranded 14 runners. Between that and Kris Medlen hurting his non-pitching shoulder while running the bases this could have been a disastrous night. Instead it was merely bad with a silver lining. Medlen should be fine. If he slides like that again, however, he’ll probably be fined until Hell won’t have it.

Astros 4, Rockies 3: Here’s the downside of following the draft: As a Braves fan I remember when they drafted Matt Belisle and I followed his career for a good while. Then he shows up and loses a game like this one and my first thought is “Matt Belisle? He’s got to be 42 years old now.”  He just turned 30.  I invested a lot of time in his development years and I’m not sure what I got out of it besides a misleading impression of the guy’s age.  Sometimes it’s just better to be surprised by some guy who shows up in the big leagues.  Now get off my lawn.

1. Old Gator - Jun 9, 2010 at 11:31 AM

(Reprinted from yesterday’s edition)
    Well, Stanton checked in and went three for five with three singles, scored a couple of runs and looked disciplined at the plate. Due to the bright star in the heavens that pointed the way to the Strasburg child, though, no one was paying any attention except maybe in that bar on Tatooine where they have cable. Early it is, says Yoda, but a keeper he looks like.
    The Feesh scored eight runs and lost anyway. Another brutal group effort by Scrooge McLoria’s bargain boolpen (Greetings K-mart shoppers!), which coughed up four runs, three earned. The game also featured a regression to the Keystone Kops style of fielding that marred the Feesh’s performance up until recently, with two giftwrapped runs.
    That dull thud you heard was the Gnats on their way up banging their heads against the Feesh on their way down. They now share the cellar in the NL East. For how long? I don’t want to think about it today, what with one of my world famous home made key lime pies in the oven.

2. APBA Guy - Jun 9, 2010 at 11:58 AM

Only one comment on ATH, shows you how bad we need the blog format revision. Ah, the good old days. Just last year, I remember the clamor for a weekend ATH.
    Anyway, the shocking thing about last nights A’s/Angels game was that Jered Weaver was still pitching in the 8th. Kurt’s 3-run, Earl Weaver-esque blast came on Jered Weaver’s 115th pitch. Tired was he, as Gator and Yoda would say.
    The 10-1 mauling, also featuring 3 more hits by the incredibly caliente Ryan “My Knees” Sweeney, now at .370 over the last 22 games, sets up to make the final two games of this series more meaningful.
    Last night’s attendance was 11,000+, due more to the arctic conditions at the Mausoleum than anything else. The “as are actually running a bit ahead of last year on attendance, and TV ratings are way up. People are noticing that the A’s are playing good ball, even if they don’t have any stars, their owners are cheap, Billy Beane is AWOL and the stadium is ancient. What’s not to like?
    Captcha: avowed Vladivostok. It was about that cold in the yard, with the wind chill.

3. Andy II - Jun 9, 2010 at 12:11 PM

Hey APBA Guy, I’m still clamoring for a weekend ATH. Pretty please?

4. Old Gator - Jun 9, 2010 at 1:18 PM

I agree. Craig cites domestic tranquility and baseline febrility as his excuse not to produce them, but we’re young, virile and energetic by contrast, we don’t really care much what our wives think, and there’s no reason why we can’t merely lyce some quasi-appropriate Harks, Gleeman or Silva thread and append our own. Who’s up for that? We can work out a system for sharing responsibilities amongst us.
    reCaptcha: peepers testimony. It’s tough to keep a treefrog focused during a deposition but apparently somebody managed.

5. Craig Calcaterra - Jun 9, 2010 at 1:25 PM

It’s weird about the lack of comments on ATH. It actually gets a lot of traffic compared to many of the other posts here. Just not the comments like it used to get back at ShysterBall. Not sure why that is. I hope the redesign helps this, but I really don’t know if it will.
    Friday and Saturday ATH: I told this to Old Gator offline, but there really is a personal life barrier to me doing it. My usual routine has me reading box scores and passively watching a couple of games each evening as I put the thing together, and extending that to Friday and Saturday really kills movie nights with the wife and things like that. I could maybe try to do it in the morning, but I find the feature suffers when I do that, turning much more into a line score regurgitation thing. Maybe it’s because I feel rushed. Maybe it’s because I’m not drinking when I write it. You be the judge!
    Not saying it will never happen — and Gator’s suggestion of me just throwing up a bare scores post for commenting is a good one I’m considering — but at the moment it’s not high on the priority list.
    Maybe if weekday ATH starts rockin’ again I might.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester