Jun 9, 2010, 9:10 AM EST
But Selig also told reporters that he does not see a groundswell of
support in baseball circles for greater use of instant replay. While he
will continue to hold discussions with his special committee for
on-field matters, he expressed doubt that expanded use of replay will
take place during the 2010 season.
“It is interesting,”
Selig said. “Most baseball people are really against instant replay.
There’s no question about that. I could sense that the last three days
[in talking to people].
Who on Earth is Bud talking to? How is he even framing the question? I mean, sure, if you ask a bunch “would you rather have instant replay or a fresh pizza delivered to you by a supermodel every night, which would you choose,” I’m guessing replay wouldn’t fare well. But he can’t be asking people about it straight up, can he?
This smacks of a preemptive spin job designed to make his ultimate decision — nah, we’re not doing replay — sound like the result of some consensus when in reality it would be anything but.
And no, I don’t have polling numbers to back up my belief that people want replay, but when you’re the one arguing that an archaic system that ignores both technology and reality should stay in place, I think the burden of proof is on you.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 305
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (305)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)