Jun 9, 2010, 9:10 AM EDT
But Selig also told reporters that he does not see a groundswell of
support in baseball circles for greater use of instant replay. While he
will continue to hold discussions with his special committee for
on-field matters, he expressed doubt that expanded use of replay will
take place during the 2010 season.
“It is interesting,”
Selig said. “Most baseball people are really against instant replay.
There’s no question about that. I could sense that the last three days
[in talking to people].
Who on Earth is Bud talking to? How is he even framing the question? I mean, sure, if you ask a bunch “would you rather have instant replay or a fresh pizza delivered to you by a supermodel every night, which would you choose,” I’m guessing replay wouldn’t fare well. But he can’t be asking people about it straight up, can he?
This smacks of a preemptive spin job designed to make his ultimate decision — nah, we’re not doing replay — sound like the result of some consensus when in reality it would be anything but.
And no, I don’t have polling numbers to back up my belief that people want replay, but when you’re the one arguing that an archaic system that ignores both technology and reality should stay in place, I think the burden of proof is on you.
- Jose Altuve breaks Craig Biggio’s franchise record, tallying his 211th hit of the season 4
- Orioles beat Blue Jays to clinch AL East title 21
- Tanner Roark dominates as Nationals clinch NL East 18
- Masahiro Tanaka to pitch on Sunday 9
- Astros shut down George Springer for the season 0
- The Blue Jays will make a qualifying offer to Melky Cabrera 24
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 34
- MLB suspends Jonathan Papelbon seven games for incident during Sunday’s game 42
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- A few thoughts about the discrimination lawsuit against the Mets (91)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (88)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)