Bud Selig says no one wants replay

Jun 9, 2010, 9:10 AM EDT

This just boggles my mind:

But Selig also told reporters that he does not see a groundswell of
support in baseball circles for greater use of instant replay. While he
will continue to hold discussions with his special committee for
on-field matters, he expressed doubt that expanded use of replay will
take place during the 2010 season.

“It is interesting,”
Selig said. “Most baseball people are really against instant replay.
There’s no question about that. I could sense that the last three days
[in talking to people].

Who on Earth is Bud talking to? How is he even framing the question? I mean, sure, if you ask a bunch “would you rather have instant replay or a fresh pizza delivered to you by a supermodel every night, which would you choose,” I’m guessing replay wouldn’t fare well.  But he can’t be asking people about it straight up, can he?

This smacks of a preemptive spin job designed to make his ultimate decision — nah, we’re not doing replay — sound like the result of some consensus when in reality it would be anything but.

And no, I don’t have polling numbers to back up my belief that people want replay, but when you’re the one arguing that an archaic system that ignores both technology and reality should stay in place, I think the burden of proof is on you.

1. IowaJim - Jun 9, 2010 at 9:31 AM

Craig, if you don’t have numbers to back up what you say then you have the same level of credibility as the commish on this issue, that is to say…none. So why don’t you run a poll of baseball people, as well as the baseball fans then you’d have something to write about.

2. Bill@TDS - Jun 9, 2010 at 9:33 AM

I think it comes down to how you define “baseball person.” I believe that Selig defines it as “any person who is against the expanded use of isntant replay in baseball.”

3. BC - Jun 9, 2010 at 9:36 AM

What is Bud Light smoking and where can I get some?????
    Captcha: policy lurked. There’s that ESP again…

4. Nomar - Jun 9, 2010 at 9:54 AM

I think the reasons against replay are legitimate and more widespread among baseball diehards, so I think Selig is right on this one. Here’s the three biggest reasons why:
    1. The biggest complaint from fans, players, everyone is that games take too long already. How is replay going to help? And even if it’s limited in use — say, with each coach getting one challenge each — it would add significant time to a game. If each challenge takes just 5 minutes, that’s 10 minutes total. Too much.
    2. In 25 years, what will we remember about this season? That Dallas Braden threw a perfect game? Or that Jim Joyce blew a call on the 27th out of Galarraga’s perfect game and then both the ump and athlete showed incredible sportsmanship and poise in handling the situation? Maybe that lesson was greater than the perfect game itself.
    3. Don’t rely on the technology crutch. Where does it end? The technology exists for balls and strikes to be called by nonhuman means, and it would probably be a more consistent, fair strike zone. But who wants that? Differing strike zones are simply part of the game. Every call at every base could be called by replay. Every catch could be reviewed. It’s a Pandora’s Box.
    Now, to be fair, I think the real problem lies in the pitiful work of umpires. Too many bad ones (West, Davidson, Hernandez, I could go on). Joyce isn’t one of those, but there are plenty of old-timers that need to be phased out. Improve the umpiring, this argument becomes a moot point.
    Just my two, maybe three cents.

5. Nomar - Jun 9, 2010 at 9:55 AM

Just my two, maybe three cents.

6. BB3 - Jun 9, 2010 at 9:57 AM

I would be glad for NO instant replays and greatly dislike the current home run replay interuption. Baseball requires the constant flow that umpires provide by making instant calls.
    I wish the home run instant replays would disappear. In my opinion, anything that bounces back onto the field should be in play. If MLB would take that stance, then owners would get busy and fix the stupid way some of the fields are designed.

7. wrong em - Jun 9, 2010 at 10:02 AM

Replay often wouldn’t take any more time than a manager or a player arguing a call takes.
    Just sayin’.

8. J. McCann - Jun 9, 2010 at 10:54 AM

He means the owners don’t want it. That is all who he gives a crap about. (They sign his paycheck after all.)
    The 5th umpire in the booth is a great idea, but they are too cheap to do it during the regular season.
    But in the playoffs, for calls at 1B, they gotta have it.

9. lol retards - Jun 9, 2010 at 11:03 AM

This isn’t hockey or football where there is almost always 30 guys around the puck/football. The only reason replays take long in those sports is because there is so much traffic that it is hard to see who has the ball or if the puck crossed the goal line. In baseball, this would not be an issue, replays would take about 2 seconds, there’s no gray area, it’s either the guy got to the base before the ball or he didn’t, did the ball hit the pole or didn’t, did the ball hit the foul line or didn’t.
    If you can’t tell by watching a replay for 2 seconds and make a decision, then just look at my name.

10. walk - Jun 9, 2010 at 11:05 AM

I can see how selig could be correct on his feeling of this issue. Honestly if you suddenly got this machine at your job that made sure everything you did was done correctly but made you have to stay at work an extra five or ten minutes each day would you like it? As far game time goes i love the long games. The give and take between batters and pitchers as they try set each other up is somehing i greatly admire. People say pitching duels are worst you can get but to me its most exciting. The game may last longer some times but it can literally change on one pitch. There are other sports to watch which have timed quarters in it if you are looking for a game that lasts a set ammount of time.

11. baseball sucks - Jun 9, 2010 at 11:11 AM

This is why baseball sucks, bunch of idiots who 1)can’t tell in 2 seconds on a slow motion replay whether or not a guy is out 2)too stupid to want to see things called right and not screw over someone who clearly deserved a perfect game
    For those that say replays would take too long, how exactly does it take too long? Tv replays are almost instant, so unless the umpire wants to sit down and have a hot dog while he’s watching it, it wouldnt take more than 1 minute.
    Don’t compare it to football or hockey, because in those sports there is always 30 people around the line/ball, baseball does not have that problem, everything is clear with nothing to block the view of the ball.

12. baseball sucks - Jun 9, 2010 at 11:17 AM

By the way, just look at tennis. Do those replays take 5 minutes? No, the player asks for a replay and bam, the replays comes on the screen and what do you know, after 5 seconds, everyone knows whether the ball is in or not. Apparently baseball is some sort of super complicated sport involving quantum physics or something and replays like those in tennis/football/hockey wouldn’t work. I know, 5 seconds is too long to add to a baseball game. “Wahhhh, 5 seconds of my life gone”, when people who watch baseball sit through 2-3 hours, are you serious?

13. Old Gator - Jun 9, 2010 at 11:20 AM

Hate to say this, Craig, but I told you so.
    No, I rescind that. I don’t really hate to say it. As a matter of fact, I always get a kick out of being right. Bud Light says that precedence is important, and all of his precedents have been incredibly stupid, gutless or misguided. So he is at the very least consistent.
    I remain an opponent of replay, but I still find Bud Light’s position imbecilic because it’s Bud’s position. Even though I take the same position, it is both reasoned and spiritually grounded because it is my position. I trust the distinction is clear to everyone but yesterday’s embittered crop of Tea Party whiners?

14. Chris - Jun 9, 2010 at 11:36 AM

Have three guys in a booth, and a couple guys on the field. Everyone has a headset. Guys on the field relay what the guys in the booth see and manage the game. Calls are just as fast as they are now.
    I hate the Pandora’s box argument. Yes, getting every call right is a terrible thing. Technology exists to make every call correct in a way that is invisible to the viewer. Use it.

15. JCD - Jun 9, 2010 at 11:42 AM

Bud’s been emboldened by everyone saying he might the right call in not overturning the blown call in Galarraga’s perfect game. He didn’t make the right call then, and he’s blowing it again saying no one wants instant reply. I wish people would have held his feet to the fire and let him know that not overturning the blown call was the absolute wrong decision, and the easy way out.

16. That Guy - Jun 9, 2010 at 1:40 PM

If its truly the owners that don’t want replay…thats perfectly fine (and its not likely to detriment the sport if not implemented). However, the owners should probably sit down and determine how to improve the umpiring/human aspect of the game. The last thing owners want is to spend millions putting a good product on the field and having people not trust the integrity of the game because certain umpires think the fans have shown up to watch them bumbling around for 9 innings.

17. Nico Ocho - Jun 9, 2010 at 3:45 PM

Won’t someone please think of the children!

18. Old Gator - Jun 9, 2010 at 9:59 PM

Sure. Have you checked the children?

Three legends off to Cooperstown