Jun 9, 2010, 9:10 AM EST
But Selig also told reporters that he does not see a groundswell of
support in baseball circles for greater use of instant replay. While he
will continue to hold discussions with his special committee for
on-field matters, he expressed doubt that expanded use of replay will
take place during the 2010 season.
“It is interesting,”
Selig said. “Most baseball people are really against instant replay.
There’s no question about that. I could sense that the last three days
[in talking to people].
Who on Earth is Bud talking to? How is he even framing the question? I mean, sure, if you ask a bunch “would you rather have instant replay or a fresh pizza delivered to you by a supermodel every night, which would you choose,” I’m guessing replay wouldn’t fare well. But he can’t be asking people about it straight up, can he?
This smacks of a preemptive spin job designed to make his ultimate decision — nah, we’re not doing replay — sound like the result of some consensus when in reality it would be anything but.
And no, I don’t have polling numbers to back up my belief that people want replay, but when you’re the one arguing that an archaic system that ignores both technology and reality should stay in place, I think the burden of proof is on you.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 87
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 163
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (163)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (140)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (138)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)