UPDATE: Jayson Werth is out of the lineup again

Jun 9, 2010, 4:30 PM EDT

Charlie Manuel headshot.jpgUPDATE: Snipping, sniping, whatever: Jayson Werth is sitting for a second straight day.  Ben Francisco gets the call in right against Josh Johnson and the Marlins.

Not sure I’d read a ton into this. Werth is only 3 for 11 against Johnson with zero extra base hits, so maybe he’s not the right guy for Werth to break out of a slump against, ya know?

12:11 P.M: Charlie Manuel, when asked if he thinks Jayson Werth’s struggles have anything to do with this being his big free agency year:

“I think something like that has to. It has to. I definitely think that. I
think everyone is like that. Even if a guy is quiet, I know it does. I
know in his mind that he thinks like that. He really got off to a
tremendous start and when things started going a little bad for him, he
thinks about it. But he’s going to be fine.”

Jayson Werth’s response:

“I don’t think anybody can sit there and say what I’m thinking. I play hard every night. I hustle. I play to win. Thinking about
my contract is the last thing on my mind.”

“Say, don’t get sore, see.” Charlie Manuel probably said afterward, diffusing the situation.

Werth sat out for the second time in a week last night.  The Marlins won’t be around every day to give victories away, so he had best get on the stick if the Phillies are to break out of their funk.

1. PhilsFan - Jun 9, 2010 at 3:49 PM

Typical Craig – trash Phillies, Phillies fans take exception, claim to be the victim of Phillies fans.
    Hey Scoop Jackson, you missed this part of Werth’s quote:
    When asked if Manuel’s comment bothers him, Werth responded: “It does. At the same time, I know that Charlie is in my corner.”

2. Megary - Jun 9, 2010 at 4:07 PM

Yes, Craig constantly lowers himself to any type of Phillie bashing, however stretched or contrived, that he can find. Should be a derogatory Mets news item on this site soon as well. He’s a Braves fan, it’s his site, it’s his hereditary right, and he’s not bound by any ethical journalism standard.
    Because he’s a smart guy see, and he knows this type of “story” will drive traffic.
    Keep up the good work!

3. Phillyhack - Jun 9, 2010 at 4:27 PM

Craig, the shot at Phillies fans in general and our supposed insecurities was uncalled for. Just another stupid remark by you. This will be the last time i read any of your work. And yes, I have been a Phillies fan for 38 years. I am not insecure. I just don’t think its real smart for media to take a shot at their audience. Idiot!

4. PhilsFan - Jun 9, 2010 at 4:28 PM

Just to be clear, I am not saying he doesn’t have a right to do trash the Phillies, and I know he knows that trashing the Phillies is better for hits then trashing the Royals or Pirates. I just wish he would stop whining “Boo-hoo, you Phillies fans are soooooo mean to me”.
    Man up, ya wuss!

5. izzy - Jun 9, 2010 at 4:45 PM

it’s one thing to have 1 or even 2 players in slumps BUT to have more than that at one time is unbelievable….please tell me what’s happened to Howard’s power stroke….he worked with Bonds over the winter to get closer to the plate and at least his avg is much better BUT his hr are way down…please go back to your old stance so you can hit your 45 hr & 140 rbi…and Utley’s lost….werth is big time slumping and j-roll is just like the METS Reyes was last year….it doesn’t look good….I know I keep hearing the season is long but you better wake up you’ve played 57 games already and it’s almost the middle of JUNE!!!! I think they believe that they can turn it on…I don’t believe that at all….they MISS j-roll way too much…he makes this team go….get better soon j-roll please before this promising season comes to an abrupt end!

6. YANKEES1996 - Jun 9, 2010 at 4:45 PM

Who’s Brett Favre?

7. Utley's hair - Jun 9, 2010 at 6:35 PM

Looks like nine other Phightins are out of the lineup tonight, as well as nine Feesh.

8. schmedley - Jun 9, 2010 at 9:57 PM

It seems that every little story in Philadelphia gets blown up into a big deal, and I have a theory on why that is so. The Philly papers sway to the tabloid style and like to promote controversy to sell papers. Charlie probably made an innocent remark during the course of an interview, and the writer decided to use that one remark (probably taken out of context) as the basis for an entire news story, with matching headline.
    The kid drinking the (probably empty) beer story only became a national story because the Philly papers saw the video on a blog and decided to make it into a story. Just like last year when a blogger with zero evidence to back his claims accused Raul Ibanez of taking steroids. It only became a story when a Philly Inquirer writer referenced the blog in his column. The Pukemom story is another example. If every newspaper in every down looked at the police blotter after every game and decided to write news stories based on the arrests, you would probably see all kinds of crazy stories out there.
    In contrast, the Baltimore papers don’t report anything. Earlier this week, a radio show host in Baltimore went on a rant about why Rick Dempsey (former Oriole who and now a tv analyst for the team) wouldn’t make a good manager. Dempsey was listening at the time, drove to the studio, and confronted the host live on the air and had a heated exchange. The Baltimore Sun hasn’t said one word about. In Philly, that probably would have been a huge story and would have been picked up nationally, but it’s a total non-story in Baltimore.
    Every fan base has their share of idiots, and Philly teams probably have more idiots per capita than most other cities. That being said, most Philly fans are normal, upstanding citizens, and they don’t deserve to constantly be stereotyped the way they are. Let’s face it, the national media just loves to beat up on the Philly sports fan, and it’s the Philly media that provides them with most of the fuel for their fire.

Giants, Royals took unique paths to WS