Jun 9, 2010, 4:30 PM EST
UPDATE: Snipping, sniping, whatever: Jayson Werth is sitting for a second straight day. Ben Francisco gets the call in right against Josh Johnson and the Marlins.
Not sure I’d read a ton into this. Werth is only 3 for 11 against Johnson with zero extra base hits, so maybe he’s not the right guy for Werth to break out of a slump against, ya know?
12:11 P.M: Charlie Manuel, when asked if he thinks Jayson Werth’s struggles have anything to do with this being his big free agency year:
“I think something like that has to. It has to. I definitely think that. I
think everyone is like that. Even if a guy is quiet, I know it does. I
know in his mind that he thinks like that. He really got off to a
tremendous start and when things started going a little bad for him, he
thinks about it. But he’s going to be fine.”
Jayson Werth’s response:
“I don’t think anybody can sit there and say what I’m thinking. I play hard every night. I hustle. I play to win. Thinking about
my contract is the last thing on my mind.”
“Say, don’t get sore, see.” Charlie Manuel probably said afterward, diffusing the situation.
Werth sat out for the second time in a week last night. The Marlins won’t be around every day to give victories away, so he had best get on the stick if the Phillies are to break out of their funk.
- The Phillies have told teams they’d trade Cliff Lee and Cole Hamels 40
- Mark Prior’s retirement reminds us that young pitchers will break your heart 15
- Roy Halladay is retiring 53
- Tony La Russa Bobby Cox, Joe Torre all unanimously elected to the Hall of Fame 48
- Tony Blengino says recent report on Seattle front office is “just the tip of the iceberg” 61
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (160)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (112)