Jun 9, 2010, 4:30 PM EDT
UPDATE: Snipping, sniping, whatever: Jayson Werth is sitting for a second straight day. Ben Francisco gets the call in right against Josh Johnson and the Marlins.
Not sure I’d read a ton into this. Werth is only 3 for 11 against Johnson with zero extra base hits, so maybe he’s not the right guy for Werth to break out of a slump against, ya know?
12:11 P.M: Charlie Manuel, when asked if he thinks Jayson Werth’s struggles have anything to do with this being his big free agency year:
“I think something like that has to. It has to. I definitely think that. I
think everyone is like that. Even if a guy is quiet, I know it does. I
know in his mind that he thinks like that. He really got off to a
tremendous start and when things started going a little bad for him, he
thinks about it. But he’s going to be fine.”
Jayson Werth’s response:
“I don’t think anybody can sit there and say what I’m thinking. I play hard every night. I hustle. I play to win. Thinking about
my contract is the last thing on my mind.”
“Say, don’t get sore, see.” Charlie Manuel probably said afterward, diffusing the situation.
Werth sat out for the second time in a week last night. The Marlins won’t be around every day to give victories away, so he had best get on the stick if the Phillies are to break out of their funk.
- 2015 Preview: Colorado Rockies 2
- 2015 Preview: Minnesota Twins 13
- 2015 Preview: Philadelphia Phillies 24
- 2015 Preview: Cincinnati Reds 43
- The average Major League Baseball salary this year will be more than $4 million — a record 22
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 21
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 70
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 8
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (91)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (90)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)