Jun 9, 2010, 5:30 PM EST
The New York Post reported this morning that the Mariners were thinking about trying to peddle Cliff Lee to the Yankees. This afternoon the Daily News reports that they can peddle all they want, but the Bombers aren’t buying:
But despite a published report that suggested the Bombers were interested
in a deal for Mariners lefty Cliff Lee, a team
official told the Daily News that adding a starter is not in the
“There is no urgency to do anything with the
rotation,” the official said. “That’s not an area that we’re focused
on . . . Seattle may be doing its prep work by scouting a bunch of different teams, but it sounds like they’re doing more prep work than we are on this one.”
So that’s that. Or maybe that’s that. I have to remind myself about this every trade deadline, but a good rule of thumb is to believe absolutely nothin’ nobody says on the record when it comes to trade rumors. If you did, you’d come to think that no one is ever interested in anyone and no one is ever shopping anyone.
This is not to say that the Yankees really are interested in Lee. I just prefer to wait until someone with some connections starts reporting about actual talks to put any stock in these things. Whatever the case, just know that with all trade rumors, the B.S. factor is high. The key is learning how to cut through the B.S.
Or you can just let us do it for you for the next couple of months. We’re kinda good at it.
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” 65
- Trea Turner’s agent is unhappy his client is in limbo after trade to Nationals 31
- Nexen Heroes accept Jung-Ho Kang posting fee from unidentified MLB team 21
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 15
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 64
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. 144
- Jake Peavy agrees to a two-year, $24 million deal to stay with the San Francisco Giants 26
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (144)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)