Jun 9, 2010, 5:30 PM EST
The New York Post reported this morning that the Mariners were thinking about trying to peddle Cliff Lee to the Yankees. This afternoon the Daily News reports that they can peddle all they want, but the Bombers aren’t buying:
But despite a published report that suggested the Bombers were interested
in a deal for Mariners lefty Cliff Lee, a team
official told the Daily News that adding a starter is not in the
“There is no urgency to do anything with the
rotation,” the official said. “That’s not an area that we’re focused
on . . . Seattle may be doing its prep work by scouting a bunch of different teams, but it sounds like they’re doing more prep work than we are on this one.”
So that’s that. Or maybe that’s that. I have to remind myself about this every trade deadline, but a good rule of thumb is to believe absolutely nothin’ nobody says on the record when it comes to trade rumors. If you did, you’d come to think that no one is ever interested in anyone and no one is ever shopping anyone.
This is not to say that the Yankees really are interested in Lee. I just prefer to wait until someone with some connections starts reporting about actual talks to put any stock in these things. Whatever the case, just know that with all trade rumors, the B.S. factor is high. The key is learning how to cut through the B.S.
Or you can just let us do it for you for the next couple of months. We’re kinda good at it.
- Report: Two agents rumbled in the parking lot at the Winter Meetings 30
- Mets sign 40-year-old Bartolo Colon for two years, $20 million 39
- MLB rules committee decides to eliminate collisions at home plate 63
- Mariners sign Corey Hart to incentive-laden deal 28
- David Price would not consider an extension with the Mariners if he’s traded there 35
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Not everyone is happy about home plate collisions being taken away (116)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (113)