Jun 9, 2010, 5:30 PM EDT
The New York Post reported this morning that the Mariners were thinking about trying to peddle Cliff Lee to the Yankees. This afternoon the Daily News reports that they can peddle all they want, but the Bombers aren’t buying:
But despite a published report that suggested the Bombers were interested
in a deal for Mariners lefty Cliff Lee, a team
official told the Daily News that adding a starter is not in the
“There is no urgency to do anything with the
rotation,” the official said. “That’s not an area that we’re focused
on . . . Seattle may be doing its prep work by scouting a bunch of different teams, but it sounds like they’re doing more prep work than we are on this one.”
So that’s that. Or maybe that’s that. I have to remind myself about this every trade deadline, but a good rule of thumb is to believe absolutely nothin’ nobody says on the record when it comes to trade rumors. If you did, you’d come to think that no one is ever interested in anyone and no one is ever shopping anyone.
This is not to say that the Yankees really are interested in Lee. I just prefer to wait until someone with some connections starts reporting about actual talks to put any stock in these things. Whatever the case, just know that with all trade rumors, the B.S. factor is high. The key is learning how to cut through the B.S.
Or you can just let us do it for you for the next couple of months. We’re kinda good at it.
- Jose Altuve breaks Craig Biggio’s franchise record, tallying his 211th hit of the season 4
- Orioles beat Blue Jays to clinch AL East title 21
- Tanner Roark dominates as Nationals clinch NL East 18
- Masahiro Tanaka to pitch on Sunday 9
- Astros shut down George Springer for the season 0
- The Blue Jays will make a qualifying offer to Melky Cabrera 24
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 34
- MLB suspends Jonathan Papelbon seven games for incident during Sunday’s game 42
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- A few thoughts about the discrimination lawsuit against the Mets (91)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (88)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)