Instant replay is winning by a mile

Jun 9, 2010, 4:15 PM EDT

I know this morning’s instant replay poll is not scientific. It also features slanted questions and lends itself to self-selection. But results are results!  And after about six hours of voting the results are clear: instant replay in a landslide. Just over 1000 people have voted. About 83% of you want replay of some kind.  About 79% of you favor the fifth-ump-in-the-booth option.

I’ve left the poll open for a couple of days for those of you who are working on ways to rig the vote.  Otherwise, I’m going to leave it for now, wondering only one thing: who are these “baseball people” Bud Selig referred to yesterday as being against replay? My only guess: it’s the 30 owners who pay both his salary and would pay the salaries of the15 extra umps needed to man the booths.

But of course, it has almost always been that way when baseball has had to make a choice between short term costs and long term benefits.  They eventually get it right. It just takes a while.

1. ecp - Jun 9, 2010 at 4:25 PM

Actually, I’ll bet the people he’s talking to are his handpicked “Special Committee for Onfield Matters,” or whatever the heck they call it. And he handpicked that committee because he knew it would then be made up of people who would say what he wants said.
    (Which, now that I think about it, bears a remarkable similarity to the politics of my own work environment.)

2. Jonny5 - Jun 9, 2010 at 4:34 PM

Was there any doubt? Anyway, I have the inside track on these “baseball people” that advise Bud. Apparently these “baseball people” follow Bud around and help him make “baseball decisions”. They are a group of hand selected little men that no one else can see, since he’s the only one with the brain power to see these “baseball people” we’re left befuddled. These little people also help Bud hold it when he goes to take a leak, Which his wife doesn’t understand since he still pees all over the floor and rim.

3. scatterbrian - Jun 9, 2010 at 4:44 PM

“My only guess: it’s the 30 owners who pay both his salary and would pay the salaries of the15 extra umps needed to man the booths.”
    If they do it by replacing the official scorer, they can at least meet halfway.

4. JBerardi - Jun 9, 2010 at 4:59 PM

If Baseball truely wants to be the national game, it has to make these kind of moves. Well, is there anything more American than damaging the long term viability of your organization in order to increase quarterly profits by a tenth of a percent?

5. Old Gator - Jun 9, 2010 at 9:53 PM

“A while” in Bud Light terms is calculated in geological time. I hope the idiot leaves his brain to science; nobody’s ever seen one with a totally smooth surface before.

6. Luke - Jun 10, 2010 at 8:59 AM

“Who are these ‘baseball people’ Bud Selig referred to yesterday as being against replay?”
    I’ll tell you one thing, none of your 1000 voters are “baseball people,” so who cares.

Patience finally paying off for Royals fans
  1. R. Castillo (3179)