Jun 9, 2010, 4:15 PM EDT
I know this morning’s instant replay poll is not scientific. It also features slanted questions and lends itself to self-selection. But results are results! And after about six hours of voting the results are clear: instant replay in a landslide. Just over 1000 people have voted. About 83% of you want replay of some kind. About 79% of you favor the fifth-ump-in-the-booth option.
I’ve left the poll open for a couple of days for those of you who are working on ways to rig the vote. Otherwise, I’m going to leave it for now, wondering only one thing: who are these “baseball people” Bud Selig referred to yesterday as being against replay? My only guess: it’s the 30 owners who pay both his salary and would pay the salaries of the15 extra umps needed to man the booths.
But of course, it has almost always been that way when baseball has had to make a choice between short term costs and long term benefits. They eventually get it right. It just takes a while.
- Yordano Ventura calls Jose Bautista a “nobody” and accuses him of stealing signs 65
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 77
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 78
- The Reds’ and Pirates’ benches cleared after Brandon Phillips was hit with a pitch 61
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 13
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 36
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 11
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 32
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (205)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)