Jun 9, 2010, 4:15 PM EDT
I know this morning’s instant replay poll is not scientific. It also features slanted questions and lends itself to self-selection. But results are results! And after about six hours of voting the results are clear: instant replay in a landslide. Just over 1000 people have voted. About 83% of you want replay of some kind. About 79% of you favor the fifth-ump-in-the-booth option.
I’ve left the poll open for a couple of days for those of you who are working on ways to rig the vote. Otherwise, I’m going to leave it for now, wondering only one thing: who are these “baseball people” Bud Selig referred to yesterday as being against replay? My only guess: it’s the 30 owners who pay both his salary and would pay the salaries of the15 extra umps needed to man the booths.
But of course, it has almost always been that way when baseball has had to make a choice between short term costs and long term benefits. They eventually get it right. It just takes a while.
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 7
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 81
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 115
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (115)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)