Jun 9, 2010, 4:15 PM EDT
I know this morning’s instant replay poll is not scientific. It also features slanted questions and lends itself to self-selection. But results are results! And after about six hours of voting the results are clear: instant replay in a landslide. Just over 1000 people have voted. About 83% of you want replay of some kind. About 79% of you favor the fifth-ump-in-the-booth option.
I’ve left the poll open for a couple of days for those of you who are working on ways to rig the vote. Otherwise, I’m going to leave it for now, wondering only one thing: who are these “baseball people” Bud Selig referred to yesterday as being against replay? My only guess: it’s the 30 owners who pay both his salary and would pay the salaries of the15 extra umps needed to man the booths.
But of course, it has almost always been that way when baseball has had to make a choice between short term costs and long term benefits. They eventually get it right. It just takes a while.
- Rangers snap Astros’ 10-game winning streak 0
- UPDATE: Hanley Ramirez exits game with a left shoulder sprain 15
- Nelson Cruz, Adrian Gonzalez named Players of the Month 13
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 94
- Report: Brewers hire Craig Counsell to replace Ron Roenicke 26
- Brewers fire manager Ron Roenicke 55
- Jordan Walden lands on disabled list with biceps injury 11
- Rays place outfielder Desmond Jennings on 15-day disabled list with bursitis in his left knee 1
- Torii Hunter doesn’t care what Floyd Mayweather has done outside of the boxing ring (140)
- The Orioles will play to no fans tomorrow; this weekend’s series will move to Tropicana Field (125)
- Buck Showalter had some wise words about what’s happening in Baltimore (123)
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights (120)
- Some anti-DH counterpoints (102)