Jun 9, 2010, 2:44 PM EDT
Kendry Morales will undergo surgery tomorrow, two weeks after fracturing his ankle while celebrating a walk-off homer. Mark Saxon of ESPNLosAngeles.com reports that Morales was initially slated to go under the knife the day after the injury, but surgery was delayed until the swelling subsided.
He’ll have a metal rod and/or screws inserted “to hold the fibula in place” and won’t be able to put any weight on his left leg for at least 4-6 weeks. However, there’s apparently still some chance that Morales could return in September, which is suddenly noteworthy with the Angels digging out of an early hole to reclaim their usual spot near the top of the AL West.
“We really reinforced the idea that he’s got to listen to the doctors,” manager Mike Scioscia told Saxon. “Its going to take time. You can’t rush it. Right now, I think he’s anxious to get into the surgery and the rehab.”
After placing fifth in the MVP voting last season Morales was hitting .290 with 11 homers and 39 RBIs in 51 games, and his injury could put the Angels in the market for a veteran first baseman such as Paul Konerko of the White Sox. For now Mike Napoli, Robb Quinlan, and Michael Ryan have been splitting time at first base, but Napoli is a catcher and the other two offer little offensively.
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 31
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 91
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 8
- Phillies acquire No. 1 international signing slot for 2015-2016 from the Diamondbacks 19
- Orioles activate Jonathan Schoop after 10-week absence 9
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 40
- Video: Kris Bryant hits a grand slam as part of a two-homer, six-RBI night 9
- Stephen Strasburg exits start with tightness in left side 10
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced (93)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)