Jun 9, 2010, 2:44 PM EDT
Kendry Morales will undergo surgery tomorrow, two weeks after fracturing his ankle while celebrating a walk-off homer. Mark Saxon of ESPNLosAngeles.com reports that Morales was initially slated to go under the knife the day after the injury, but surgery was delayed until the swelling subsided.
He’ll have a metal rod and/or screws inserted “to hold the fibula in place” and won’t be able to put any weight on his left leg for at least 4-6 weeks. However, there’s apparently still some chance that Morales could return in September, which is suddenly noteworthy with the Angels digging out of an early hole to reclaim their usual spot near the top of the AL West.
“We really reinforced the idea that he’s got to listen to the doctors,” manager Mike Scioscia told Saxon. “Its going to take time. You can’t rush it. Right now, I think he’s anxious to get into the surgery and the rehab.”
After placing fifth in the MVP voting last season Morales was hitting .290 with 11 homers and 39 RBIs in 51 games, and his injury could put the Angels in the market for a veteran first baseman such as Paul Konerko of the White Sox. For now Mike Napoli, Robb Quinlan, and Michael Ryan have been splitting time at first base, but Napoli is a catcher and the other two offer little offensively.
- Giants designate Casey McGehee for assignment 23
- Yan Gomes returns to the Indians’ lineup after missing six weeks with a sprained right knee 0
- Marlins jump in Clevelander pool after snapping losing streak 22
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 19
- Brian Matusz was ejected for having a foreign substance on his arm 38
- Josh Hamilton will join the Rangers on Monday 6
- UPDATE: David Wright diagnosed with spinal stenosis 23
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 39
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)