Jun 9, 2010, 2:44 PM EDT
Kendry Morales will undergo surgery tomorrow, two weeks after fracturing his ankle while celebrating a walk-off homer. Mark Saxon of ESPNLosAngeles.com reports that Morales was initially slated to go under the knife the day after the injury, but surgery was delayed until the swelling subsided.
He’ll have a metal rod and/or screws inserted “to hold the fibula in place” and won’t be able to put any weight on his left leg for at least 4-6 weeks. However, there’s apparently still some chance that Morales could return in September, which is suddenly noteworthy with the Angels digging out of an early hole to reclaim their usual spot near the top of the AL West.
“We really reinforced the idea that he’s got to listen to the doctors,” manager Mike Scioscia told Saxon. “Its going to take time. You can’t rush it. Right now, I think he’s anxious to get into the surgery and the rehab.”
After placing fifth in the MVP voting last season Morales was hitting .290 with 11 homers and 39 RBIs in 51 games, and his injury could put the Angels in the market for a veteran first baseman such as Paul Konerko of the White Sox. For now Mike Napoli, Robb Quinlan, and Michael Ryan have been splitting time at first base, but Napoli is a catcher and the other two offer little offensively.
- Mariners fire general manager Jack Zduriencik 33
- Pedro Martinez wonders if bad chemistry is the reason the Tigers and Mariners are out of contention 38
- Vote of non-confidence: Reds owner says manager Bryan Price won’t be fired before the season is over 12
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 71
- Denard Span headed back to DL with hip inflammation, unlikely to return this season 10
- Report: Barry Bonds loses collusion case against MLB 40
- Jessica Mendoza to sit in for Curt Schilling on Sunday Night Baseball this week 80
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 78
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (199)
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (180)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (122)