Jun 9, 2010, 3:42 PM EDT
Ozzie Guillen isn’t happy about his son being picked in the 22nd round, but he’s not the only manager whose offspring was drafted this year.
Detroit took Jim Leyland’s son in the eighth round and unlike Ozney Guillen it sounds like Patrick Leyland is a legitimate prospect. He’s a catcher with good defensive skills who hit .569 as a high school senior in Pittsburgh, where his dad managed the Pirates for many years. He’s signed to play college ball at Maryland, so it’ll likely take a sizable signing bonus to lure him away.
San Francisco selected Bruce Bochy’s son in the 20th round and Brett Bochy was putting up some excellent numbers as a reliever at Kansas before undergoing Tommy John elbow surgery in April. He has one year of eligibility left, so Bochy isn’t a lock to sign given his injury status.
Colorado picked Jim Tracy’s son in the 22nd round–a dozen picks after Ozney Guillen went to the White Sox–and 21-year-old Mark Tracy is expected to sign quickly after hitting .290 with 12 homers as Duquesne’s catcher this season. He was also drafted in the 49th round last year, but didn’t sign.
And earlier this afternoon the A’s picked manager Bob Geren’s son, high school third baseman Bobby Geren, in the 36th round. In all, five of the 30 big-league managers saw their sons drafted and as Spencer Fordin of MLB.com notes there were plenty of other interesting “family picks” this year, including Jamie Moyer’s son and Bryce Harper’s older brother.
- Video: Jake Arrieta strikes out Chase Utley to complete his no-hitter 3
- Jake Arrieta no-hits the Dodgers with 12 strikeouts 19
- Blue Jays will name Mark Shapiro as the new team president 9
- Lance Lynn expects to make next scheduled start despite suffering ankle injury Saturday 2
- Cubs expected to call up Javier Baez on September 1 6
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 13
- A fan died at Turner Field after falling from the upper deck 55
- Mets acquire Addison Reed from the Diamondbacks 10
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)