Jun 9, 2010, 3:42 PM EST
Ozzie Guillen isn’t happy about his son being picked in the 22nd round, but he’s not the only manager whose offspring was drafted this year.
Detroit took Jim Leyland’s son in the eighth round and unlike Ozney Guillen it sounds like Patrick Leyland is a legitimate prospect. He’s a catcher with good defensive skills who hit .569 as a high school senior in Pittsburgh, where his dad managed the Pirates for many years. He’s signed to play college ball at Maryland, so it’ll likely take a sizable signing bonus to lure him away.
San Francisco selected Bruce Bochy’s son in the 20th round and Brett Bochy was putting up some excellent numbers as a reliever at Kansas before undergoing Tommy John elbow surgery in April. He has one year of eligibility left, so Bochy isn’t a lock to sign given his injury status.
Colorado picked Jim Tracy’s son in the 22nd round–a dozen picks after Ozney Guillen went to the White Sox–and 21-year-old Mark Tracy is expected to sign quickly after hitting .290 with 12 homers as Duquesne’s catcher this season. He was also drafted in the 49th round last year, but didn’t sign.
And earlier this afternoon the A’s picked manager Bob Geren’s son, high school third baseman Bobby Geren, in the 36th round. In all, five of the 30 big-league managers saw their sons drafted and as Spencer Fordin of MLB.com notes there were plenty of other interesting “family picks” this year, including Jamie Moyer’s son and Bryce Harper’s older brother.
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 75
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 35
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 157
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (129)