Jun 9, 2010, 3:42 PM EDT
Ozzie Guillen isn’t happy about his son being picked in the 22nd round, but he’s not the only manager whose offspring was drafted this year.
Detroit took Jim Leyland’s son in the eighth round and unlike Ozney Guillen it sounds like Patrick Leyland is a legitimate prospect. He’s a catcher with good defensive skills who hit .569 as a high school senior in Pittsburgh, where his dad managed the Pirates for many years. He’s signed to play college ball at Maryland, so it’ll likely take a sizable signing bonus to lure him away.
San Francisco selected Bruce Bochy’s son in the 20th round and Brett Bochy was putting up some excellent numbers as a reliever at Kansas before undergoing Tommy John elbow surgery in April. He has one year of eligibility left, so Bochy isn’t a lock to sign given his injury status.
Colorado picked Jim Tracy’s son in the 22nd round–a dozen picks after Ozney Guillen went to the White Sox–and 21-year-old Mark Tracy is expected to sign quickly after hitting .290 with 12 homers as Duquesne’s catcher this season. He was also drafted in the 49th round last year, but didn’t sign.
And earlier this afternoon the A’s picked manager Bob Geren’s son, high school third baseman Bobby Geren, in the 36th round. In all, five of the 30 big-league managers saw their sons drafted and as Spencer Fordin of MLB.com notes there were plenty of other interesting “family picks” this year, including Jamie Moyer’s son and Bryce Harper’s older brother.
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 0
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 8
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 31
- Bobby Bonilla’s isn’t the only deferred money deal in the game. And isn’t even the worst. 48
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. 71
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM 75
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 46
- Rangers activate Josh Hamilton from disabled list, send prospect Joey Gallo to Triple-A 12
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (76)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)