Jun 9, 2010, 3:42 PM EDT
Ozzie Guillen isn’t happy about his son being picked in the 22nd round, but he’s not the only manager whose offspring was drafted this year.
Detroit took Jim Leyland’s son in the eighth round and unlike Ozney Guillen it sounds like Patrick Leyland is a legitimate prospect. He’s a catcher with good defensive skills who hit .569 as a high school senior in Pittsburgh, where his dad managed the Pirates for many years. He’s signed to play college ball at Maryland, so it’ll likely take a sizable signing bonus to lure him away.
San Francisco selected Bruce Bochy’s son in the 20th round and Brett Bochy was putting up some excellent numbers as a reliever at Kansas before undergoing Tommy John elbow surgery in April. He has one year of eligibility left, so Bochy isn’t a lock to sign given his injury status.
Colorado picked Jim Tracy’s son in the 22nd round–a dozen picks after Ozney Guillen went to the White Sox–and 21-year-old Mark Tracy is expected to sign quickly after hitting .290 with 12 homers as Duquesne’s catcher this season. He was also drafted in the 49th round last year, but didn’t sign.
And earlier this afternoon the A’s picked manager Bob Geren’s son, high school third baseman Bobby Geren, in the 36th round. In all, five of the 30 big-league managers saw their sons drafted and as Spencer Fordin of MLB.com notes there were plenty of other interesting “family picks” this year, including Jamie Moyer’s son and Bryce Harper’s older brother.
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 52
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 74
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 68
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 11
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 99
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 52
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Video: Rusney Castillo notches his first major league hit 7
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (99)
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (91)
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (87)