Jun 9, 2010, 9:33 AM EDT
Stephen Strasburg wasn’t the only franchise savior who debuted last night. Mike Stanton was called up by the Marlins and had himself a solid debut: 3 for 5 with two runs scored. All of the hits were singles, but given that Stanton’s M.O. is to swing for the fences and strikeout whenever he doesn’t mash it, the Marlins will take the contact, no problem.
Best thing about his debut: he had to spend the hours before the game trying to find a suit because the Marlins have a farkakte team rule requiring every player to wear business clothes on road trips. OK, maybe it’s not farkakte –I get the whole look professional, feel professional thing — but (a) “professional” for a baseball player involves athletic gear, not dress socks; and (b) I’d rather my young stud spend his pre-game hours reading scouting reports, not hanging out at a Men’s Warehouse. Maybe I’m just projecting, though. I’m not a fan of suits.
Either way, I would have liked to see the look on the face of the dude at Men’s Warehouse when asked if he had something on the rack that could fit a dude who is 6’5″ and weighs 233 pounds.
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 18
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 5
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 86
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 52
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Video: Rusney Castillo notches his first major league hit 7
- Michael Wacha cleared to return Saturday vs. Reds 2
- Marlins officially shut down Giancarlo Stanton for the season 6
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (90)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (86)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)