Jun 9, 2010, 9:33 AM EDT
Stephen Strasburg wasn’t the only franchise savior who debuted last night. Mike Stanton was called up by the Marlins and had himself a solid debut: 3 for 5 with two runs scored. All of the hits were singles, but given that Stanton’s M.O. is to swing for the fences and strikeout whenever he doesn’t mash it, the Marlins will take the contact, no problem.
Best thing about his debut: he had to spend the hours before the game trying to find a suit because the Marlins have a farkakte team rule requiring every player to wear business clothes on road trips. OK, maybe it’s not farkakte –I get the whole look professional, feel professional thing — but (a) “professional” for a baseball player involves athletic gear, not dress socks; and (b) I’d rather my young stud spend his pre-game hours reading scouting reports, not hanging out at a Men’s Warehouse. Maybe I’m just projecting, though. I’m not a fan of suits.
Either way, I would have liked to see the look on the face of the dude at Men’s Warehouse when asked if he had something on the rack that could fit a dude who is 6’5″ and weighs 233 pounds.
- HBT Daily: How the Royals and Giants were built 4
- Two radio stations in San Francisco are refusing to play Lorde’s “Royals” during the World Series 40
- Royals tab James Shields, Yordano Ventura to start first two games of World Series 1
- Brian Roberts is retiring 13
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? 119
- Video: Watch Travis Ishikawa’s pennant-winning homer 13
- Travis Ishikawa sends Giants to World Series on walk-off three-run homer 79
- NLCS, Game 5: Cardinals vs. Giants lineups 30
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (119)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (104)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)
- Andrew Friedman leaving the Rays to take over as Dodgers President of Baseball Operations (83)
- Quit making a big deal out of anomalies. Most of what happens is meaningless. (82)