Jun 9, 2010, 4:42 PM EST
Now that all service time considerations are moot top prospects are being called up in waves. Stephen Strasburg and Mike Stanton debuted last night, Brad Lincoln and Jose Tabata are being called up today, and Jake Arrieta is set to join the Orioles’ rotation tomorrow night against the Yankees.
Arrieta signed for $1.1 million as a fifth-round pick in 2007 and has since emerged as one of the better right-handed pitching prospects in the American League. He posted a 3.40 ERA and 148/56 K/BB ratio in 150.2 innings between Double-A and Triple-A last season and has been even better this year with a 1.85 ERA and 64/34 K/BB ratio in 73 innings at Triple-A.
His control has been shaky, but Arrieta misses lots of bats with a good fastball-slider combination and projects as a potential middle-of-the-rotation starter (or perhaps a late-inning reliever, if his control remains an issue). He’s already 24 years old, so after 28 good starts at Triple-A it makes sense for the Orioles to give him a shot, although I’m not sure if facing the Yankees is a particularly good idea for any pitcher’s debut.
- MLB declares Hector Olivera a free agent 0
- Video: Watch Matt Harvey’s return to action against the Tigers 3
- Matt Harvey makes his return. And he was really impressive. 23
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 28
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 36
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 147
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (380)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (147)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)