Jun 9, 2010, 12:50 PM EST
After seeing first hand what a top prospect can do last night, the Pirates reportedly will call up both Brad Lincoln and Jose Tabata from Triple-A in time for tonight’s game against the Nationals.
Lincoln went one spot after Evan Longoria as the fourth overall pick in the 2006 draft, but missed all of 2007 following Tommy John elbow surgery. He’s bounced back pretty well, posting a 3.89 ERA and 97/24 K/BB ratio in 130 innings at Triple-A, but at 25 years old now projects as a potential middle-of-the-rotation starter at best rather than an ace.
Tabata was acquired from the Yankees in the mid-2008 deal for Xavier Nady and Damaso Marte, and has seen his stock decline since showing lots of promise as a teenager in the low minors. Once thought to have middle-of-the-order upside he’s managed only 14 homers in 246 games between Double-A and Triple-A, but he’s still just 21 years old and should develop at least a bit more pop.
Plus, even if the power never arrives Tabata should be able to make an impact closer to the top of the Pirates’ lineup. He’s hit .290 at Double-A and Triple-A, getting on base at a solid .355 clip and swiping 54 bags at a 77 percent success rate. His raw numbers are nothing special, but for someone who’s been very young for every level of competition it’s definitely encouraging. Whether or not he’s ready for the majors right now is another matter entirely.
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 40
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 35
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 166
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 11
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 34
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 37
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 50
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 26
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (166)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (83)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)