Strasburg's debut was not to be missed

Jun 9, 2010, 10:44 AM EDT

Strasburg closeup.jpgI have no idea what the TV ratings were on Strasburg’s debut last night, but we have some good photographic evidence that it was not to be missed.

Check out this pic, from the Nats320 blog, of the abandoned concourse while Strasburg was pitching during the seventh inning.  Keep in mind that the seventh inning usually marks last call for alcohol at ballparks, so the lines are often longish with people like me, er, I mean hopeless drunks trying to get their last cup ‘o brew.

Yesterday Darren Rovell wrote about how much money the Nats stood to make as a result of each Strasburg start.  He should probably recalculate and back out the lower per fan concession sales as a result of everyone being on the edge of their seat.

1. J Rose - Jun 9, 2010 at 10:58 AM

Wow, that looks like the concourse of say, any Rays game not involving Boston or New York, instead of the sold-out debut of a phenom. Pretty impressive.

2. YankeesfanLen - Jun 9, 2010 at 11:26 AM

Wow! How did they re-create the ambiance of Old-Old Yankee Stadium in a 4 year old ballpark. Was the architect Art Vandelay?

3. Megary - Jun 9, 2010 at 11:33 AM

I’d be very disappointed in Cholly if he does not select Strasburg to the All-Star game. Actually, I doubt the MLB brass will even give Cholly the *option* of leaving him off.
    And after all, this time it counts.

4. Old Gator - Jun 9, 2010 at 11:39 AM

Actually, that photo was taken in January and Craig’s been saving it just for such an occasion. All great bloggers keep extensive photo files. Watch Craig’s canny deployment of audiovisual support, not to mention athletic supporters, all season long and you’ll see the pattern.
    Anyway, that concourse is not nearly as ugly, clammy and claustrophobic as the concourses in the Tropicana Dump. For one thing, there are no bats hanging from the ceiling. For another, there’s no morbidly obese predator drone prowling the methane atmosphere under the big bubble. And there’s no monument to Buckminster Fuller in the outfield with the inscription, “Why did I waste my time on this?”

5. APBA Guy - Jun 9, 2010 at 11:45 AM

I was on the phone with one of the DC guys in my APBA league last night, and he was giving me a blow-by-blow of the Strasburg “event”, along with IM updates from the other DC guys. In the 20+ years I lived there, the only other time I saw this level of interest and excitement was the Redskins first Joe Gibbs Superbowl win.

6. Scott - Jun 9, 2010 at 11:46 AM

According to the DC Sports Bog, it shattered the ratings records for the local TV station (MASN).
    Also, a ridiculous development for the Nats in this area, only one Capitals game has ever drawn a higher rating than last night’s (this year’s Game 7 vs. Montreal). That means it outdrew every game of last year’s Caps-Penguins playoff series, among many other examples.

7. schmedley - Jun 9, 2010 at 8:35 PM

I’m watching tonight’s Nats game on TV, and judging by the size of the crowd (Slim Pickens, as Skip Caray used to say), the concourse might look about the same tonight. It will be interesting to see if the Nats attendance starts to trend up in non-Strasburg starts. I go to Nationals Park about 3 times a year, and it’s a nice enough park, but it’s no fun with the stadium being so empty. Hopefully Strasburg will be the jolt that D.C. needs to start supporting the team more.

8. Melody - Jun 10, 2010 at 2:06 AM

That reminds me of Fenway Park when Pedro was pitching. I don’t think the concessions suffered much, though– we all just bought our beer and hot dogs when Pedro took a seat and the Red Sox came up to bat. ;)

Who's to blame for Cubs tarp fiasco?
  1. R. Castillo (3072)