The Orioles are thrilled with Strasburg's debut

Jun 9, 2010, 12:29 PM EDT

Peter Angelos.jpgLast night the Baltimore Orioles, while getting killed by the Yankees, started showing the Strasburg game on the big screen at Camden Yards.  I and a lot of other fans probably would have appreciated such a thing if we were there.  One guy didn’t, though:  Here’s Sweeny Murti from WFAN tweeting during the game:

For yrs Angelos opposed team in Wash.
Now, during (another) O’s pitching change, Strasburg highlights on big
screen.
Really?”

For instance: If Strasburg pitched for Mets, and
Yanks were losing 12-3, would Mets highlights be on Yankee Stadium
board? Exactly.

What Sweeney didn’t realize at the time was that Orioles owner Peter Angelos owns MASN, and MASN broadcasts Nats games (he was informed later and didn’t seem to care).  As such, Stephen Strasburg is making the guy money.  Indeed, just ask him:

“What’s good for the Nationals is good for MASN. That
makes me happy, and that makes Mr. Lerner happy. They are partners in the MASN network. The
better they do, the more interest it generates.”

That was Angelos just a couple of weeks ago.  I haven’t seen a quote from him this morning, but he has to be pleased: the Nielsen preliminary overnight number for MASN’s broadcast was a 7.1, which was three times higher than the previously top-rated Nats game and close to seven times better than the average rating for Nats games this season.

Showing them on the big screen? Heck, I wouldn’t be surprised if you saw Angelos selling Strasburg jerseys in Camden Yards within the next few days.

1. Old Gator - Jun 9, 2010 at 1:02 PM

Dear Buddha, just look at that face. He could have commanded a star cruiser with the rebel fleet without any makeup whatsoever, and the crew would have actually listened to him.

2. Eric Olson - Jun 9, 2010 at 1:28 PM

I give it about a week before we start seeing Yankee and Red Sox jerseys with “Strasburg” on the back, a la the “Mauer” jerseys of last year.

3. Devon Young - Jun 9, 2010 at 1:32 PM

That almost sounds like a conflict of interest, that could be resulting in an “I don’t care about making the O’s a better team”, which led to the original change of rules that owners couldn’t own multiple teams. I mean, what does Angelos care about the O’s if he can make cash on the Nats via MASN? He could feasibly make deals (or avoid deals) to strengthen the Nationals into a contender while leaving the Orioles to drift.

4. Jeff V. - Jun 9, 2010 at 1:47 PM

Word is that MASN is now worth more then the Orioles.
    As for leaving the O’s to drift, he did that over a decade ago back when the Nats where still the Expos. Any owner can sacrifice winning for profit, just look at the Marlins over the years.
    Phillies govenment? odd Captcha there

5. Jonny5 - Jun 9, 2010 at 1:47 PM

Is that Vigo the Carpathian? It is I swear it is…. I wasn’t aware Vigo was the owner of MASN. Just in case you forgot who that is…. http://stevemccutchen.files.wordpress.com/2009/03/vigo.jpg

6. Jamie - Jun 9, 2010 at 1:51 PM

Kind of makes you wish baseball had some sort of “commissioner” who could intervene with the “best interests of baseball” in mind, doesn’t it?

7. Old Gator - Jun 9, 2010 at 1:58 PM

A tip of the hat, you nailed it. But when did Vigo come down with acromeglia?

8. APBA Guy - Jun 9, 2010 at 2:43 PM

Ugh, any mention of Angelos and MASN makes me want to vomit, not only because any sighting or mention of Angelos makes me ill, but it’s the same pattern of behavior the Giants are using out here over the A’s moving to San Jose.

9. Jonny5 - Jun 9, 2010 at 3:31 PM

Gator, you aren’t right. Funny as hell, but not right. btw, check out the other thread on the Fledgling Feesh Feenom, I gave you some good suggestions on Jimi.

10. jwb - Jun 9, 2010 at 4:55 PM

“Is that Vigo the Carpathian?”
    No, It is The Thing.

11. Old Gator - Jun 9, 2010 at 9:56 PM

I always wondered if Ben Grimm was related to the poet Simon Grim from Henry Fool.

The Jon Lester-Yoenis Cespedes trade is a win-win