Jun 9, 2010, 9:58 AM EDT
That’s what the Baltimore Sun is reporting, with an interview between Valentine and team brass possible as early as tomorrow. People have talked about what kind of jobs Valentine would or would not take given that he has a cushy analyst role at ESPN right now, but the Sun reports that sources close to Valentine say that the Baltimore job would be something he’d be interested in.
Also mentioned: Eric Wedge, who is not yet scheduled for an interview but whom the Sun reports was contacted by the team. Wedge is a far less sexy choice obviously, and I’m struggling to think why the O’s would want him. Sure, he has managerial experience, but if he showed one thing while he was in charge in Cleveland it was that he couldn’t really inspire anyone. In this he’s a lot like Dave Trembley: nice guy, totally professional, but the wrong man to manage a talented yet underachieving team who could use some butt kickings.
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 0
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 55
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 17
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 114
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 54
- Pete Rose will be allowed to participate in All-Star Game festivities 69
- Career over? Joe Nathan needs Tommy John surgery 31
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (115)