Jun 9, 2010, 11:13 AM EDT
They’re not complaining about the dimensions or the wind patterns. They’re complaining about the glare. Hitting coach Joe Vavra:
“There’s a lot of light that reflects off that wall [beyond center
field], maybe because of all the glass. It has been borderline dangerous
at some points. You can see some of the catchers having trouble catching the ball,
and if the catcher can’t catch it, I don’t think you’re going to be able
to hit it.”
They’re also getting a lot of glare from the giant Twins logo with the two dudes shaking hands. Some of the suggestions to address it include netting and non-glare coating and stuff. The team says it will work on it.
No park is perfect when it opens. There are always little tweaks. This one, though, would seem like a safety issue. There’s a reason parks have batter’s eyes out in center: so the batter can see the ball and not, you know, get cold-cocked with it. If Target Field is distracting hitters and not allowing them to follow the ball all the way in, it’s a big problem.
NOTE: For the safety of our readers, I included a pic of Target Field on an overcast day. Can’t be too careful.
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 0
- Andrew McCutchen departs game versus Cardinals after aggravating injured left rib cage 2
- Mariners extend general manager Jack Zduriencik’s contract 12
- Money, money, money (and Bud Selig’s nirvana) 14
- These days, the correlation between payroll and winning is historically weak 60
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 49
- Report: Cubs calling up top prospect outfielder Jorge Soler 40
- Shin-Soo Choo to undergo season-ending bone spur surgery on elbow 13
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (247)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (142)
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million (96)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Even if he’s reinstated, does Pete Rose make the Hall of Fame? (89)