Jun 9, 2010, 11:13 AM EST
They’re not complaining about the dimensions or the wind patterns. They’re complaining about the glare. Hitting coach Joe Vavra:
“There’s a lot of light that reflects off that wall [beyond center
field], maybe because of all the glass. It has been borderline dangerous
at some points. You can see some of the catchers having trouble catching the ball,
and if the catcher can’t catch it, I don’t think you’re going to be able
to hit it.”
They’re also getting a lot of glare from the giant Twins logo with the two dudes shaking hands. Some of the suggestions to address it include netting and non-glare coating and stuff. The team says it will work on it.
No park is perfect when it opens. There are always little tweaks. This one, though, would seem like a safety issue. There’s a reason parks have batter’s eyes out in center: so the batter can see the ball and not, you know, get cold-cocked with it. If Target Field is distracting hitters and not allowing them to follow the ball all the way in, it’s a big problem.
NOTE: For the safety of our readers, I included a pic of Target Field on an overcast day. Can’t be too careful.
- Troy Tulowitzki trade between the Rockies and Mets is “not happening” 13
- Trea Turner’s agent is unhappy his client is in limbo after trade to Nationals 30
- Nexen Heroes accept Jung-Ho Kang posting fee from unidentified MLB team 17
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 15
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 64
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. 143
- Jake Peavy agrees to a two-year, $24 million deal to stay with the San Francisco Giants 26
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (143)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)