Jun 9, 2010, 11:13 AM EDT
They’re not complaining about the dimensions or the wind patterns. They’re complaining about the glare. Hitting coach Joe Vavra:
“There’s a lot of light that reflects off that wall [beyond center
field], maybe because of all the glass. It has been borderline dangerous
at some points. You can see some of the catchers having trouble catching the ball,
and if the catcher can’t catch it, I don’t think you’re going to be able
to hit it.”
They’re also getting a lot of glare from the giant Twins logo with the two dudes shaking hands. Some of the suggestions to address it include netting and non-glare coating and stuff. The team says it will work on it.
No park is perfect when it opens. There are always little tweaks. This one, though, would seem like a safety issue. There’s a reason parks have batter’s eyes out in center: so the batter can see the ball and not, you know, get cold-cocked with it. If Target Field is distracting hitters and not allowing them to follow the ball all the way in, it’s a big problem.
NOTE: For the safety of our readers, I included a pic of Target Field on an overcast day. Can’t be too careful.
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 5
- Ruben Amaro apologizes for comments about fans, admits he may have been late on rebuild 16
- Jonathan Lucroy expected to rejoin the Brewers on Monday 0
- More drama in Miami: Marlins demote third base coach Brett Butler after “confusion” over signs 33
- Ruben Amaro dismisses fans who “bitch and complain” about the Phillies’ moves 70
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 67
- Reds finally shut down Devin Mesoraco seven weeks after hip injury, surgery may be needed 7
- Mike Napoli continues to kill the Angels 7
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)