Jun 10, 2010, 2:44 PM EDT
Brandon Wood was placed on the disabled list last month in a move due partly to a hip injury and partly to the Angels wanting to send a player without a minor-league option to Triple-A. Wood is officially now “rehabbing” his injury at Triple-A and for the first time his big-league struggles are carrying over to the minors.
Wood has gone 6-for-33 (.182) with 11 strikeouts, zero walks, and zero extra-base hits in eight games at Triple-A, where he previously batted .290 with a .900 OPS in more than 300 games. Prior to the injury/demotion he was hitting .156 with a gruesome 36/2 K/BB ratio in 39 games for the Angels this season and .179 with a 110/9 K/BB ratio in 125 career games as a big leaguer.
He’s still just 25 years old, so there’s certainly time for Wood to salvage his career, but if he’s no longer crushing Triple-A pitching there’s really nothing to cling to in terms of optimism. It’ll be interesting to see what the Angels do once his rehab assignment is up in a couple weeks, because he’s clearly not deserving of an MLB roster spot at this point and they can’t leave him in the minors without first passing him through waivers.
- Red Sox place Hanley Ramirez on disabled list with shoulder injury 0
- J.A. Happ is thriving with the Pirates 1
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 46
- Sandy Alderson is not going to “roll over” for Scott Boras and shut down Matt Harvey 68
- Dodgers are already fed up with 6.56 ERA-pitching, excuse-making Mat Latos 57
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 59
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 24
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 150
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (150)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (145)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (107)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (101)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (90)