Jun 10, 2010, 9:12 PM EDT
Eccentric basketball broadcaster Dick Vitale makes his offseason home in Tampa Bay and seems to make it to several Rays games a year. On Thursday he got more than he bargained for.
According to the Associated Press, Dicke V was nailed in the stomach by a foul ball off the bat of Blue Jays leadoff hitter Fred Lewis. Vitale was sitting in the front row along the third base dugout, in prime foul ball territory. He rubbed his stomach for a few minutes and looked to be in some pain, but eventually shook it off and was seen laughing with the fans seated around him.
Vitale has had the pleasure of watching one heck of a Rays team this year. As of Thursday evening, the club boasts an MLB-best 39-20 record and holds a two-game lead over the Yankees. Go Rays, babyyy.
- HBT Daily: How the Royals and Giants were built 4
- Two radio stations in San Francisco are refusing to play Lorde’s “Royals” during the World Series 40
- Royals tab James Shields, Yordano Ventura to start first two games of World Series 1
- Brian Roberts is retiring 13
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? 119
- Video: Watch Travis Ishikawa’s pennant-winning homer 13
- Travis Ishikawa sends Giants to World Series on walk-off three-run homer 79
- NLCS, Game 5: Cardinals vs. Giants lineups 30
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (119)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (104)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)
- Andrew Friedman leaving the Rays to take over as Dodgers President of Baseball Operations (83)
- Quit making a big deal out of anomalies. Most of what happens is meaningless. (82)