Jun 10, 2010, 9:12 PM EDT
Eccentric basketball broadcaster Dick Vitale makes his offseason home in Tampa Bay and seems to make it to several Rays games a year. On Thursday he got more than he bargained for.
According to the Associated Press, Dicke V was nailed in the stomach by a foul ball off the bat of Blue Jays leadoff hitter Fred Lewis. Vitale was sitting in the front row along the third base dugout, in prime foul ball territory. He rubbed his stomach for a few minutes and looked to be in some pain, but eventually shook it off and was seen laughing with the fans seated around him.
Vitale has had the pleasure of watching one heck of a Rays team this year. As of Thursday evening, the club boasts an MLB-best 39-20 record and holds a two-game lead over the Yankees. Go Rays, babyyy.
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 0
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 6
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 52
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 14
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 26
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (120)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (105)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)