Jun 10, 2010, 9:12 PM EDT
Eccentric basketball broadcaster Dick Vitale makes his offseason home in Tampa Bay and seems to make it to several Rays games a year. On Thursday he got more than he bargained for.
According to the Associated Press, Dicke V was nailed in the stomach by a foul ball off the bat of Blue Jays leadoff hitter Fred Lewis. Vitale was sitting in the front row along the third base dugout, in prime foul ball territory. He rubbed his stomach for a few minutes and looked to be in some pain, but eventually shook it off and was seen laughing with the fans seated around him.
Vitale has had the pleasure of watching one heck of a Rays team this year. As of Thursday evening, the club boasts an MLB-best 39-20 record and holds a two-game lead over the Yankees. Go Rays, babyyy.
- 2015 Preview: Cincinnati Reds 27
- The average Major League Baseball salary this year will be more than $4 million — a record 22
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 18
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 70
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 8
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 69
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 26
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (91)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (90)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)