Dickie V struck with foul ball at Rays game

Jun 10, 2010, 9:12 PM EDT

Eccentric basketball broadcaster Dick Vitale makes his offseason home in Tampa Bay and seems to make it to several Rays games a year.  On Thursday he got more than he bargained for.

According to the Associated Press, Dicke V was nailed in the stomach by a foul ball off the bat of Blue Jays leadoff hitter Fred Lewis.  Vitale was sitting in the front row along the third base dugout, in prime foul ball territory.  He rubbed his stomach for a few minutes and looked to be in some pain, but eventually shook it off and was seen laughing with the fans seated around him.

Vitale has had the pleasure of watching one heck of a Rays team this year.  As of Thursday evening, the club boasts an MLB-best 39-20 record and holds a two-game lead over the Yankees.  Go Rays, babyyy.

1. Ick McWang - Jun 10, 2010 at 9:43 PM

Dickie V actually has season tickets, and has had them since day one of the franchise. He attends quite a few games

2. Paul Martin - Jun 10, 2010 at 10:25 PM

Dickie V saw a very close game. The pitching matchup favored the Jays and unlike last week Kevin Gregg pitched just well enough in the 9th for the Save for the Jays. That is a great team in Tampa Bay. They are never out of any game. They are easily the best team in baseball.

3. GimmeSomeSteel - Jun 10, 2010 at 10:49 PM

Please tell me this is the kind of injury that’s not life-threatening but is enough to make him SHUT UP for a while. I can’t have the sound on while watching a game if he’s on, as he takes all the enjoyment out with his cliches, his favoritism toward the established teams, and his constant babble.

4. ellis D tripp - Jun 11, 2010 at 12:16 AM

GimmeSomeSteel,I agree with you.To bad it didn’t hit him in the mouth

5. ellis D tripp - Jun 11, 2010 at 12:21 AM

GimmeSomeSteel,I agree with you.To bad it didn’t hit him in the mouth.

6. Leon - Jun 11, 2010 at 3:08 AM

GimmeSomeSteel, I agree completely with you. I just go to some other game when BIG MOUTH Dickie is ranting & raving about the DUKIES & his other garbage. Maybe ESPN can get him a job where he is not on the air. We can only hope!!!!!!

7. HOLLA(R) - Jun 11, 2010 at 10:23 AM

I think I speak for people everywhere when I say hit him with the bat next time, please.

8. Big Spike - Jun 11, 2010 at 10:51 AM

I used to like Dick a long time back but his schtick got old 15 years ago. Same reason I am glad Madden finally retired. would hate to see him go the route Harry Carey did before the end.

Managers get easier path to Cooperstown
  1. H. Street (3476)