Jacoby Ellsbury will be on the shelf for a couple more weeks

Jun 10, 2010, 5:11 PM EDT

jacoby ellsbury headshot red sox.jpgEarlier today Jon Heyman tweeted that a second opinion of Red Sox’ outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury’s
ribs revealed “a bigger issue.”  We now know that he’s going to need at least two more weeks of recovery. To that end, Pete Abe reports, Ellsbury will head to Athletes’ Performance training facility in Arizona for some R and R.  Well, some R, anyway.

No word from Tony Massarotti if this is just more of Ellsbury’s malingering. Though I suppose he’ll want to interview all of the doctors Ellsbury pulled into his giant scam before he really blows the lid off this thing.

1. Joey B - Jun 10, 2010 at 5:39 PM

Dude is a crackpot. I’m a RS fan, but it looks to me like the original diagnosis of a bruise was wrong. Ellsbury now has the presumption of innocence. I’m not seeing any real motivation for Ellsbury to be sitting out. He can play and increase his potential earnings, or fly back and forth across the country and hurt his earnings. Mazz is just an idiot who likes the sound of his own voice.

2. JBerardi - Jun 10, 2010 at 6:52 PM

So Mazz was just trying to create a controversy out of nothing. Good thing he failed so miserably to do so.

3. jeff - Jun 10, 2010 at 7:52 PM

I agree – there seems to be no “manny” issue here. It only hurts his future status by wearing the pink hat so to speak – there’s obviously an issue with his ribs.

4. Zoyd - Jun 10, 2010 at 8:11 PM

Joey, you’re right. Mazz is just an idiot who likes the sound of his own voice. And what a voice it is. His voice is a high-pitched whine, like a cross between a castrato and a dentist’s drill. He goes on the air and accuses Ellsbury of being a malingerer, and now it’s being reported that Ellsbury has another rib fracture. Mazz was wrong on this one, and now he’ll go on to being wrong about something else.

5. Alick - Jun 10, 2010 at 9:55 PM

It’d be nice to have Ellsbury back in the lineup. The Sox are much more entertaining when he’s healthy and running

6. APBA Guy - Jun 11, 2010 at 1:27 AM

Based on the video I saw of API’s GM John Stemmerman working Evan Longoria into a sweaty heap of quivering goo, I think Jacoby had better be in really good shape before he gets to AZ. If he’s hurt for real those guys will find out about it quickly. If he’s not he may wish he were.

7. jc - Jun 11, 2010 at 2:11 AM

You are mixing up API’s sport training and rehab programs. They aren’t the same thing. Brian Roberts did the rehab program after his arm was almost ripped off and they had him doing only very light activities for a long while. I assume a similar program will be designed for Ellsbury based on what he can tolerate. They won’t be working him to death at this thing, just trying to get him healed and back into game shape. The prescription from Dr. Yocum is for rest and therapy.
    Massarotti really should apologize to Ellsbury, as the kid now has FIVE broken ribs. But I won’t hold my breath.

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. T. Wood (5191)