Jun 10, 2010, 12:15 PM EST
Not the team, the ownership for getting rid of Kevin Towers last year. Jon Paul Morosi from FOX has the quotage:
“Kevin Towers getting let go out there is an absolute joke. You can quote me on that. Kevin Towers
is a heck of a general manager. You see the product of his work. Moorad and those guys just took
over the team last year. They didn’t change that team — (Jon) Garland’s
pitched well for them, but they didn’t make any significant moves to
that team, that coaching staff.
“Kevin Towers put that team together. That’s almost all his people
there. And he didn’t have hardly anything to work with, either. That was
not the right move, letting him go.”
He’s not wrong about the merits of Kevin Towers who, while far from perfect, got a lot more out of an often cash-strapped Padres team than most guys would have. He had some bad drafts, he made some good trades, but he never drove the team off a cliff. As Peavy says, the guys getting it done right now are Towers’ guys.
It’s just that Towers really wasn’t Jeff Moorad’s guy, and that’s really what was going on there. It happens. If I bought a team I’d probably want my guy there too.
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran 108
- Mike Napoli agrees to two-year, $32 million deal with Red Sox 34
- Curtis Granderson leaves Yankees for Mets (and $60 million) 68
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners 259
- MLB, NPB nearing new posting system agreement 9
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (160)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (110)
- When will the Yankees regret the Jacoby Ellsbury contract? (101)