Jun 10, 2010, 12:15 PM EDT
Not the team, the ownership for getting rid of Kevin Towers last year. Jon Paul Morosi from FOX has the quotage:
“Kevin Towers getting let go out there is an absolute joke. You can quote me on that. Kevin Towers
is a heck of a general manager. You see the product of his work. Moorad and those guys just took
over the team last year. They didn’t change that team — (Jon) Garland’s
pitched well for them, but they didn’t make any significant moves to
that team, that coaching staff.
“Kevin Towers put that team together. That’s almost all his people
there. And he didn’t have hardly anything to work with, either. That was
not the right move, letting him go.”
He’s not wrong about the merits of Kevin Towers who, while far from perfect, got a lot more out of an often cash-strapped Padres team than most guys would have. He had some bad drafts, he made some good trades, but he never drove the team off a cliff. As Peavy says, the guys getting it done right now are Towers’ guys.
It’s just that Towers really wasn’t Jeff Moorad’s guy, and that’s really what was going on there. It happens. If I bought a team I’d probably want my guy there too.
- Boston Marathon heroes remembered with pregame ceremony at Fenway Park 7
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple 155
- Yankees activate Mark Teixeira from the disabled list 4
- Ivan Nova diagnosed with a partially torn ulnar collateral ligament in his right elbow 30
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 35
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (248)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple (159)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (127)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)