Jun 10, 2010, 12:15 PM EST
Not the team, the ownership for getting rid of Kevin Towers last year. Jon Paul Morosi from FOX has the quotage:
“Kevin Towers getting let go out there is an absolute joke. You can quote me on that. Kevin Towers
is a heck of a general manager. You see the product of his work. Moorad and those guys just took
over the team last year. They didn’t change that team — (Jon) Garland’s
pitched well for them, but they didn’t make any significant moves to
that team, that coaching staff.
“Kevin Towers put that team together. That’s almost all his people
there. And he didn’t have hardly anything to work with, either. That was
not the right move, letting him go.”
He’s not wrong about the merits of Kevin Towers who, while far from perfect, got a lot more out of an often cash-strapped Padres team than most guys would have. He had some bad drafts, he made some good trades, but he never drove the team off a cliff. As Peavy says, the guys getting it done right now are Towers’ guys.
It’s just that Towers really wasn’t Jeff Moorad’s guy, and that’s really what was going on there. It happens. If I bought a team I’d probably want my guy there too.
- Ian Kinsler hopes Rangers go 0-162, calls GM a “sleazeball” (132)
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (101)
- The politics of “The Cardinal Way” (67)
- Robinson Cano wants the Mariners to bring in Kendrys Morales and Ervin Santana (64)
- Reporter calls Ian Kinsler as self-absorbed as A-Rod (60)