Jun 10, 2010, 3:45 PM EDT
Well, that didn’t take long.
Jeff Suppan got himself a four-year, $42 million contract from the Brewers based on the solid work he did for the Cardinals from 2004-2006, so after flopping in Milwaukee and getting released earlier this week the 35-year-old veteran is now back in St. Louis.
Derrick Goold of the St. Louis Post Dispatch reports that the Cardinals have signed Suppan and will likely add him to the major-league roster by early next week. St. Louis was looking for rotation help with both Kyle Lohse and Brad Penny injured, but he allowed 29 runs in 31 innings for the Brewers this season and had a 5.08 ERA during his four-year stint in Milwaukee.
Cardinals pitching coach Dave Duncan has worked plenty of miracles with washed-up veterans before, but if he can turn Suppan into something resembling a decent starter they should probably just put him right into the Hall of Fame. In the midst of his overall struggles Suppan was 5-2 with a 3.63 ERA versus the Cardinals since signing with the Brewers, so Duncan and company may not realize just how awful he’s been.
- Sandy Alderson is not going to “roll over” for Scott Boras and shut down Matt Harvey 54
- Dodgers are already fed up with 6.56 ERA-pitching, excuse-making Mat Latos 47
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 57
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 24
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 146
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 145
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (146)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (145)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (107)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (100)