Josh Beckett doesn't think about what might have been

Jun 10, 2010, 2:15 PM EDT

beckett2.jpgJosh Beckett signed a $68 million contract extension right before losing time and effectiveness to a back injury. WEEI’s Rob Bradford asked him if thanks his lucky stars about how the timing of all of that went down:

Beckett said the idea of what might have been if he didn’t ink that
four-year, $68 million contract extension hasn’t entered his psyche.
That, he explains, is simply not how he operates.

“I haven’t really sat down and thought
about what if I was in the middle of things. I wasn’t like that in the
middle of my other contract. I’m not a fisherman when it comes to that
stuff . . .”

Yesterday it was Jayson Werth saying that the fact that he’s in his walk year is not affecting him, today it’s Beckett saying this.  On some level I buy the notion that an elite athlete puts those things out of his mind in order to do his job.  On another level I have a hard time buying it.

Money lost and gained, potentially or otherwise, has to be something they think about, doesn’t it? Or are athletes just wired completely differently than the rest of us?

Maybe Beckett is. Dude is marrying a rocket scientist for cryin’ out loud, so he’s obviously operating on a higher plane than most of us are.

1. Rays fan - Jun 10, 2010 at 2:42 PM

There were folks ripping this guy in the offseason for signing a contract lower than he might have gotten if he’d gone the free ageant route. Now folks are asking if he’s laughing up his sleeve when the season hasn’t gone the way he’d want it to. I think he’s actually being pretty straight forward–he signed a contract for a lot of money to play where whe wanted to, felt it was fair, and now likely also thinks it’s still fair while he works through his problems.

2. scatterbrian - Jun 10, 2010 at 3:34 PM

Interesting take. All this time I just assumed Ms. Fisher was operating on a lower plane.

3. Duck Fallas - Jun 10, 2010 at 3:46 PM

I can buy that they don’t think about it in the middle of a game, but not at all during the course of a 162 game schedule? At some point, while sitting in their nice home, or climbing into their nice car or whatever, the idea has to pop into their head that they want to know how they’re going to continue to afford such luxuries next season. And I’m sure at some point during the season they’re going to have contact with their agent. What else could they possibly talk about other than the next contract?

4. aceshigh - Jun 10, 2010 at 7:52 PM

I think he signed it after opening day, so it wasn’t technically the off-season.
    Either he REALLY wanted to stay in Boston, or he and his agent determined that they likely weren’t to get a better deal elsewhere.
    Personally, as a Sox fan, I think they should have waited ’til the end of the season. Even though he had a decent year last year, he was streaky and petered out towards the end. He’s only had one truly ace-caliber year (2007) as a Red Sock.

5. Sonny - Jun 11, 2010 at 12:15 AM

He is clearly on the downside of his career , and that’s why he took less money than people thought he should get . He’s the only one who really knew how much he had left . I guess if the Sox could give a loser like dice-k 100 million maybe Beckett felt they owed him for his past performances , like the 2007 series . One things for sure , he’s not going to give the Sox a refund , you can take that to the bank .

6. Big Harold - Jun 11, 2010 at 8:14 AM

“He is clearly on the downside of his career , and that’s why he took less money than people thought he should get.”
    I’m a big Yankee fan and I don’t care much for Beckett in general but I can’t agree that he’s on the “downside” of anything. Sure he’s on the wrong side of thirty but just barely. He’s had some DL issues but I do think he signed a fair deal, all things considered. Beckett is working his way through a rough spot right now but I think what he has left in the tank is not the issue. Is he the same pitcher he was in 2007, no. Will he ever be again, perhaps not, (I at least hope not). But, he’s still a very good starter and I expect that not only will he be effective for the Red Sox for the next 4-5 years I expect him to be very good in general and at times brilliant. It seems a bit premature to suggest that a 30 year old pitcher with his resume is done. Of course I could be wrong and frankly that would be great. I’m just not counting on Beckett spiraling down dramatically over the next 4-5 years.

7. Sonny - Jun 11, 2010 at 7:08 PM

You are probably the most level headed person to post on this site . While I agree with you about him not being finished , I don’t think he will ever dominate like he used to . At times he may dominate , but not that often . The other thing I feel is questionable is the four or five years , just my opinion ,but I don’t think he’ll be around in five years . Harold , it’s always a pleasure to read your take on things .

Three legends off to Cooperstown