Jun 10, 2010, 2:15 PM EST
Josh Beckett signed a $68 million contract extension right before losing time and effectiveness to a back injury. WEEI’s Rob Bradford asked him if thanks his lucky stars about how the timing of all of that went down:
Beckett said the idea of what might have been if he didn’t ink that
four-year, $68 million contract extension hasn’t entered his psyche.
That, he explains, is simply not how he operates.
“I haven’t really sat down and thought
about what if I was in the middle of things. I wasn’t like that in the
middle of my other contract. I’m not a fisherman when it comes to that
stuff . . .”
Yesterday it was Jayson Werth saying that the fact that he’s in his walk year is not affecting him, today it’s Beckett saying this. On some level I buy the notion that an elite athlete puts those things out of his mind in order to do his job. On another level I have a hard time buying it.
Money lost and gained, potentially or otherwise, has to be something they think about, doesn’t it? Or are athletes just wired completely differently than the rest of us?
Maybe Beckett is. Dude is marrying a rocket scientist for cryin’ out loud, so he’s obviously operating on a higher plane than most of us are.
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 35
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 24
- Reds sign four-year contract extension with Devin Mesoraco 11
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 82
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 60
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 48
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 118
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 51
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (146)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (92)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (82)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)