Jun 10, 2010, 2:15 PM EDT
Josh Beckett signed a $68 million contract extension right before losing time and effectiveness to a back injury. WEEI’s Rob Bradford asked him if thanks his lucky stars about how the timing of all of that went down:
Beckett said the idea of what might have been if he didn’t ink that
four-year, $68 million contract extension hasn’t entered his psyche.
That, he explains, is simply not how he operates.
“I haven’t really sat down and thought
about what if I was in the middle of things. I wasn’t like that in the
middle of my other contract. I’m not a fisherman when it comes to that
stuff . . .”
Yesterday it was Jayson Werth saying that the fact that he’s in his walk year is not affecting him, today it’s Beckett saying this. On some level I buy the notion that an elite athlete puts those things out of his mind in order to do his job. On another level I have a hard time buying it.
Money lost and gained, potentially or otherwise, has to be something they think about, doesn’t it? Or are athletes just wired completely differently than the rest of us?
Maybe Beckett is. Dude is marrying a rocket scientist for cryin’ out loud, so he’s obviously operating on a higher plane than most of us are.
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 0
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 118
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 71
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- Drooling over Miguel Sano’s incredible numbers through 50 career games 35
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired 105
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results 81
- Yankees reveal Mark Teixeira’s shin injury is “more than we thought” 16
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (118)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (105)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (89)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (87)