Lady Gaga gives the finger to Citi Field crowd

Jun 10, 2010, 10:54 PM EDT

gaga finger.jpgAssuming there are few Lada Gaga fans among the HBT readership, here’s come a bash session.

The supposedly controversial singer was in attendance at the opener of Thursday’s day-night doubleheader between the Padres and Mets in New York City and flashed her middle finger to the supposedly photog-filled crowd at one point from her luxury suite.  Classy.

Gaga, whose real name is Stefanie Germanotta, grew up in NYC as a Yankees fan and was back in town for her sister’s high school graduation.  She’s found an international following among teeny-boppers and club goers with regurgitated pop tunes, and has sold over 15 million albums in a little over two years to the mindless masses.

Let’s hope her experience Thursday at Citi Field will end any affiliation she ever hoped to have with Major League Baseball.  After all, you can’t really autotune the Star Spangled Banner.  Or can you?

1. judi - Jun 10, 2010 at 11:18 PM

Gaga’s songs are fun and her voice is decent, unlike say the ear splitting sounds of Kesha or the Black Eyed Peas. And who doesn’t love a pop star flipping the bird?

2. JBerardi - Jun 10, 2010 at 11:21 PM

“After all, you can’t really autotune the Star Spangled Banner. Or can you?”

I think that would count as an act of terrorism.

3. Anonymous - Jun 10, 2010 at 11:22 PM

“Here’s come a bash session”?

4. DUDEINAZ - Jun 10, 2010 at 11:42 PM

WHO CARES ??

5. GetALife - Jun 10, 2010 at 11:52 PM

Dude –
    Get a life and get back to what you supposedly know about baseball. Hopefully, your knowledge of baseball is greater than that of music. From what I have read from you, I doubt that very much.

6. James K. - Jun 10, 2010 at 11:55 PM

“mindless masses”
    Dude, get over yourself. Just because she is popular in the mainstream doesn’t mean she sucks. She’s a talented performer who makes really catchy and entertaining tunes.

7. JonnyRed - Jun 11, 2010 at 12:00 AM

Too bad you cant auto correct umps bad calls..sticking her middle finger up is more Rocknroll than whichever musician or band you prob like.. Who do you like? No regurgitated guitar riffs?

8. MerkleBoner - Jun 11, 2010 at 12:01 AM

lol looks like you angered some Gaga fans. Honestly though as a 21 year old straight male her stuff is catchier and more entertaining than the pop I grew up around. If I catch her on the radio and I’m alone in the car, I don’t change the station.

9. MerkleBoner - Jun 11, 2010 at 12:01 AM

10. Alex Poterack - Jun 11, 2010 at 12:04 AM

“After all, you can’t really autotune the Star Spangled Banner.”
    I’m not a big Lady Gaga fan, but from what I understand, she actually can sing quite well; I’ve heard she was classically trained. She’d probably do a fine Star Spangled Banner–I just hope no one wants her to do “Bad Romance” over the 7th inning stretch…
    Recaptcha: vocalics major…does it know what I’m talking about???

11. This Dude - Jun 11, 2010 at 12:06 AM

those “mindless masses” are also the reason this country is falling apart. Thank you Lady Gaga, MTV, and anyone who partakes in the listening/watching of said muck for ruining our country
    Lady Gaga is inside all of your heads. Good Luck

12. PhDGagalover - Jun 11, 2010 at 12:07 AM

I have a PhD and I love Lady Gaga. I’d hardly consider myself “mindless.” Either you’re completely full of yourself, or you just wrote this article so that you’d get more attention for your pathetic little column.

13. MROBVIOUS - Jun 11, 2010 at 12:13 AM

Good for you, would you like a cookie?
    Maybe you just read this column and felt offended because you thought it was about you.
    Especially because you had to mention your professional degree.
    You just said that so you’d get more attention for your pathetic little post.

14. MROBVIOUS - Jun 11, 2010 at 12:15 AM

Good for you, would you like a cookie?
    Especially because you had to mention your professional degree.
    You just said that so you’d get more attention for your pathetic little post.

15. Jay - Jun 11, 2010 at 12:32 AM

Who won the game? Oh, you were to busy looking at the Gaga…..How mindless!

16. Learn to write - Jun 11, 2010 at 12:40 AM

I don’t count myself as a Lady Gaga fan by any means. But Drew Silva’s article was the height of poor writing and journalism. It had very little to do with the event that took place, and instead just voiced his personal opinions about a pop singer who, as he pointed out, has sold millions of albums. I also don’t think he realizes that she is critically acclaimed by many stuffy rock critics who tend to hate what the “mindless masses” like. So in the end, I’m not really sure his article had really any point at all.

17. MRREPEATMYSELF - Jun 11, 2010 at 12:43 AM

“You just said that so you’d get more attention for your pathetic little post.”
    Says the guy who has to post twice because he’s afraid his attempt at wit wasn’t posted the first time.

18. Chris - Jun 11, 2010 at 12:55 AM

Wow, all these hetero males sticking up for Lady Gaga? I thought homosexuals were her target audience. I guess there’s a couple of closet baseball/Gaga fans out there. She’s no more talented than any other random pop star out there. Her schtick is comprised of singing horridly written music while wearing outrageous outfits that no sane person would be caught dead in. She is the pinnacle of Idiocracy, if you don’t know what I’m talking about, go to Blockbuster, it’s either in the comedy or documentary section.
    I got a finger for you honey, it’s my thumb telling you to hit the road and make room for the next trashy pop star to have their 15 minutes.

19. Leon - Jun 11, 2010 at 12:55 AM

Wow. Crucify the guy for having an opinion.
    Drew, love your stuff. I disagree with you on this, I like Lady Gaga’s music almost as much as her absurd outfits. I’m curious why this story ended up here though; seems more like a TMZ type of story. And just because certain people like her (myself, the PhD-bag above) doesn’t mean that the mindless masses aren’t buying records. She’s sold 15 million of em; most of those people are mindless, aren’t they?

20. Bobomo - Jun 11, 2010 at 12:58 AM

Looking for class at a Mets game? Are you new?
    If you are genuinely disturbed by this woman’s popularity you shouldn’t sidetrack your baseball blog to talk about her.

21. BH - Jun 11, 2010 at 1:11 AM

Piss Off

22. Scott - Jun 11, 2010 at 1:14 AM

Lady Gaga is garbage, I can’t believe contrived skankiness and juvenile shock tactics still pass for ground-breaking art in some circles. Anyone who’s up in arms over Drew’s post needs to get a grip (not to mention better taste in music).

23. speters - Jun 11, 2010 at 1:18 AM

Unless Lady GagMe can catch a fly ball, hit, or throw…do we care? I’m guessing she knows nothing about the game. She puts her face where the cameras are. It’s our fault we fall for it.

24. Michael - Jun 11, 2010 at 1:25 AM

This just in…
    Baseball is not rock ‘n’ roll.
    Thank God for that: I’d hate to have to deal with what Tony Kornheiser and Colin Cowherd think of music.

25. JonnyRed - Jun 11, 2010 at 1:37 AM

So why should we care what the writer of this report thinks of Lady Gaga..He could have/should have just reported what happened sans the name calling, insulting opinionated part about a musician.
    He doesnt have to like/appreciate her but just he seemingly doesnt know what he is talking about so I voiced my displeasure with that.
    What are Fred Wilpon and Omar Minaya selling? Who are the mindless masses buying that garbage with regurgitated over the hill All-stars.

Yet another WS run for the Giants