Lady Gaga gives the finger to Citi Field crowd

Jun 10, 2010, 10:54 PM EDT

gaga finger.jpgAssuming there are few Lada Gaga fans among the HBT readership, here’s come a bash session.

The supposedly controversial singer was in attendance at the opener of Thursday’s day-night doubleheader between the Padres and Mets in New York City and flashed her middle finger to the supposedly photog-filled crowd at one point from her luxury suite.  Classy.

Gaga, whose real name is Stefanie Germanotta, grew up in NYC as a Yankees fan and was back in town for her sister’s high school graduation.  She’s found an international following among teeny-boppers and club goers with regurgitated pop tunes, and has sold over 15 million albums in a little over two years to the mindless masses.

Let’s hope her experience Thursday at Citi Field will end any affiliation she ever hoped to have with Major League Baseball.  After all, you can’t really autotune the Star Spangled Banner.  Or can you?

1. John - Jun 11, 2010 at 1:57 AM

“She’s found an international following among teeny-boppers and club goers with regurgitated pop tunes, and has sold over 15 million albums in a little over two years to the mindless masses.”
    LOL. Repeated for awesomeness and truth.

2. yass - Jun 11, 2010 at 2:03 AM

Billy Joel sang the SSB at the Super Bowl a few years ago using Auto-Tune.

3. TJH - Jun 11, 2010 at 2:03 AM

The sequel always sucks. At least Madonna was hot and a slut. And a woman.

4. Gary - Jun 11, 2010 at 2:29 AM

Mindless masses!! For some reason that has me lmao…why oh why would he say that about “Lady Gaga” fans of all the fans of MUSIC fandom? Sheesh! at least hip hop is off the roasting pan for 15 seconds, or is mind-less masses a compliment to my beloved hip hop..ooohhh i quiver with fear when wondering what catchy phrases in which one sums up the followers of hip hop….But for now..mindless masses will be my word of the week…hey all you mindless masses walking around with ipods oblivious to society!! Hey George Bush,Barack Obama, and Ronald Reagan..you mindless minded presidents!!!…hey this is getting fun!! So long to all who read this for you trully belong the the MASS OF THE MINDLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5. Grace Jones - Jun 11, 2010 at 3:09 AM

She’s a rip-off artist. Show us something original (musically and stylistically), flipping the bird not withstanding.

6. Michelle - Jun 11, 2010 at 3:13 AM

Speaking of Autotune…….. you should hear her belt it out live while alternating between soloing on the piano and going a capella (That’s a regular feature on her concert tour). We should be so lucky for her to showcase the national anthem, it would be spectacular. Go after a real poptart failure with no vocal talent, surely Britney has thrown up a finger or two.

7. Raymond - Jun 11, 2010 at 3:32 AM

I’m confused. I clicked on a link listed under sports and it somehow took me to the entertainment section. Went back and checked just to make sure I wasn’t mistaken and no it really is listed under sports. Anyone know which section I should check out for insight to baseball? Think I’ll try the travel section.

8. GAGa - Jun 11, 2010 at 5:52 AM

Trashy coke snorting low life.

9. sandy49911972 - Jun 11, 2010 at 6:59 AM

How about everybody try to have an original thought instead of rehashing the same old crap, and how about the author proofread before he posts an article. Or does he think he doesn’t get paid enough for that?
    “Assuming there are few Lada Gaga fans among the HBT readership, here’s come a bash session.”

10. Ed - Jun 11, 2010 at 7:01 AM

“Mindless Masses”
    The guy I work next to is a 50+ year old sports nut who bellows out a Lady Gaga lyric from time to time. The writer must lead a sheltered life.

11. Justin - Jun 11, 2010 at 7:19 AM

As a Mets fan, and a music fan – I gotta say, stir it up Gaga! What’s wrong with a little controversy? I’d probably be flipping off photogs and the hounding media too… she spoofs them in her songs and videos. On a side note, I saw Stefanie (before she was Gaga) perform in Manhattan a few years back. She sat a piano and looked and sounded more like Alanis Morestte then – She is not just a studio product as you unkowning suggest; she’s actually a classical pianist and can truly sing too.

12. BigAl - Jun 11, 2010 at 7:26 AM

well said, too many tuneless hacks passing themselves off as “talent”

13. David P - Jun 11, 2010 at 7:42 AM

Seriously? This is your complaint?

14. James - Jun 11, 2010 at 7:54 AM

Clearly the writer attempts to bash Gaga for attention.
    Pointless.

15. pisspoorwriter - Jun 11, 2010 at 7:56 AM

I could care less about Gaga’s music but Silva, you just sound like a jealous d-bag who is in dire need of getting laid. Nobody cares if she flipped the bird. I imagine she was not the only person in attendance who dared to be so “controversial.” Last I checked you were supposed to be a sports “journalist.” put your big girl panties back on and admit that some people are just more talented and/or successful than you.

16. BillG - Jun 11, 2010 at 8:07 AM

Two wrongs do make a right! GO PHILLIES!

17. schiver - Jun 11, 2010 at 8:32 AM

The FUNNIEST part about this article is that there is an advertisement on the right side of the screen that says “Win a trip to L.A. to see Lady Gaga live in concert.” Too ironic. And by the way, I’m a hetero male and am not a fan of the Gaga.

18. Jonny5 - Jun 11, 2010 at 8:34 AM

I hate that hooker! No surprise she’s from NY. And no surprise she flipped the bird. I’m more surprised that she didn’t flash a boob or something actually.

19. willmose - Jun 11, 2010 at 8:48 AM

My respect for Lady Gaga has just grown!

20. <--Not Mindless - Jun 11, 2010 at 9:00 AM

it is mindless. Catchy, but mindless. There are almost no composition skills required to create her tunes (this actually goes towards a lot of music artists today). Her singing is par at best, and she probably can’t play a single instrument. I highly doubt she has a true understanding of music theory. Heck, I bet she can’t even read sheet music. I don’t understand that mindless population that worship her over Alicia Keys, Lauren Hill, Norah Jones, etc.

21. Vinny Jigga - Jun 11, 2010 at 9:05 AM

What planet rare you on?? Lady gaga, like her or not, is hailed the most captivating artist since MJ… to deny this plausibility is just down right ignorant.

22. Anon - Jun 11, 2010 at 9:07 AM

You should actually check out her solo performances while in college on Youtube then judge if she can sing instead of writing slander on a famous individual to just get some hits on your post. Congrats dude!

23. Misty Rocks! - Jun 11, 2010 at 9:11 AM

Lady Gaga? If one of her songs played on the radio I wouldn’t have a clue who it was. “Singers” who put schtick over talent usually aren’t worth listening to anyway, and aren’t around long enough to care. And before any of you diehard fans decide to tell me how wrong I am, please note that I’m only stating that I’ve never heard her sing, and all of the costumes and attention-grabbing simply aren’t my own personal preference. If you enjoy it, well then good for you! Happy days.

24. yvette - Jun 11, 2010 at 9:11 AM

Not original and her antics are boring. Next.

25. Omnius - Jun 11, 2010 at 9:16 AM

So in what context did Lady Gaga flip the bird? That’s missing in the article. I could care less if she peeves off the Citi crowd and baseball, I like her a lot better than steroid dripping pro baseball where the players and managers act like little children when something happens they don’t like. Lady Gaga is far more interesting than pro basbeall will ever be!

The Jon Lester-Yoenis Cespedes trade is a win-win