McLouth, Heyward collision leads to Dbacks win

Jun 10, 2010, 9:31 AM EDT

McLouth Heyward collision.jpgWhat a way to lose a ballgame.  Nate McLouth and Jason Heyward both raced after a Gerrardo Parra fly ball in the eighth inning of last night’s Braves-Dbacks game, slammed into each other and by the time the dust settled Parra had made it around the bases for an inside-the-parker. Video here.  The two-runs which scored on the play were all the Dbacks would need.

McLouth ended up leaving the game after he slammed his head on the ground.  Bobby Cox said after the game that he’d hold McLouth out of today’s game and reevaluate him when the Braves get to Minnesota.

All I can think while watching the video is just how close to being truly disastrous that play could have been. If either McLouth or Heyward dive we could be looking at a Mike Cameron-Carlos Beltran type collision.

Just yikes.

1. Ray Knight Looks Like Tip O'Neill - What Happened? - Jun 10, 2010 at 9:45 AM

Heyward is about the last guy I’d want running me over. Ouch.

2. Church of the Perpetually Outraged - Jun 10, 2010 at 9:48 AM

Yeah it definitely could have been a lot worse. Red Sox fans help me out here, who was the second baseman that Damon ran into who seemed to get knocked out on the collision? I can’t remember his name but he went limp right after the hit. The head to head ones are definitely the worst.

3. Ryan Malmstrom - Jun 10, 2010 at 9:58 AM

Damien Jackson?

4. nps6724 - Jun 10, 2010 at 11:04 AM

All I can think watching it is how McLouth A) didn’t call Heyward off, B) was going to drop it anyway as the replay showed teh ball hitting off his wrist before contact, and C) how he has been completely useless since being traded to the Braves.

5. Infinite Wisdom - Jun 10, 2010 at 11:59 AM

That’s one way to get McClouth out of the lineup. What’s he batting, like .183?

6. C-Rock - Jun 10, 2010 at 1:39 PM