Jun 10, 2010, 3:14 PM EDT
“This game beats on you so bad that by August you’re doing tequila
shots, not sleeping and eating late-night cheeseburgers. With the schedule, you say, ‘How in the world did I get through one
year, let alone 31?”‘
— Giants third base coach Tim Flannery, explaining why it’s hard for the coaching staff to stay healthy during the season.
The quote comes in the course of a really interesting article about Bruce Bochy trying to quit smokeless tobacco. He’s dipped for close to 40 years, and he even mentions that his grandmother, a tobacco farmer, chewed the stuff.
Bochy is once again trying to kick the habit, which he says is triggered by baseball-related stress. I think Brian Sabean should help him out by trading for Prince Fielder or someone so that his life is less-stressful.
- Jonathan Papelbon makes it clear, again: He wants out of Philadelphia 43
- Looking at the All-Star team snubs and surprises 56
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 51
- “Final Vote” balloting opens for 2015 MLB All-Star Game 48
- Pitchers and reserves for 2015 MLB All-Star Game announced 64
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 51
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 106
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 10
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced (106)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)