Jun 10, 2010, 3:14 PM EDT
“This game beats on you so bad that by August you’re doing tequila
shots, not sleeping and eating late-night cheeseburgers. With the schedule, you say, ‘How in the world did I get through one
year, let alone 31?”‘
– Giants third base coach Tim Flannery, explaining why it’s hard for the coaching staff to stay healthy during the season.
The quote comes in the course of a really interesting article about Bruce Bochy trying to quit smokeless tobacco. He’s dipped for close to 40 years, and he even mentions that his grandmother, a tobacco farmer, chewed the stuff.
Bochy is once again trying to kick the habit, which he says is triggered by baseball-related stress. I think Brian Sabean should help him out by trading for Prince Fielder or someone so that his life is less-stressful.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 23
- Cliff Lee placed on DL with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 25
- Winners and losers at the trade deadline 33
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 49
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 137
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 89
- The Lester trade is a win-win 112
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 165
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (137)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (126)
- Tampa Bay news station tweets classless Detroit joke following David Price trade (120)