Jun 10, 2010, 3:14 PM EDT
“This game beats on you so bad that by August you’re doing tequila
shots, not sleeping and eating late-night cheeseburgers. With the schedule, you say, ‘How in the world did I get through one
year, let alone 31?”‘
– Giants third base coach Tim Flannery, explaining why it’s hard for the coaching staff to stay healthy during the season.
The quote comes in the course of a really interesting article about Bruce Bochy trying to quit smokeless tobacco. He’s dipped for close to 40 years, and he even mentions that his grandmother, a tobacco farmer, chewed the stuff.
Bochy is once again trying to kick the habit, which he says is triggered by baseball-related stress. I think Brian Sabean should help him out by trading for Prince Fielder or someone so that his life is less-stressful.
- Joey Gallo earns Futures Game MVP honors after leading Team USA to victory 3
- Major League Baseball needs to shift the All-Star week schedule 42
- Braves suspend Dan Uggla one game for being extremely tardy on Saturday in Chicago 33
- Cliff Lee on track to return to Phillies’ rotation July 21 4
- MRI shows biceps strain, no structural damage, for Nationals starter Jordan Zimmermann 2
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 22
- Reds hope to get Joey Votto back for the “stretch run” 8
- Jean Segura leaves Brewers following the death of his nine-month-old son 47
- Shocker: the Red Sox publicly criticize A.J. Pierzynski after cutting him (192)
- Masahiro Tanaka diagnosed with partially-torn UCL in elbow (114)
- Giants broadcaster says Angel Hernandez “does not belong in the big leagues” (102)
- David Ortiz is not pleased that his name got pulled into the John Lackey-Nelson Cruz thing (99)
- Woman knocked unconscious during fight between A’s and Giants fans outside AT&T Park (84)