Jun 10, 2010, 4:46 PM EDT
Randy Wolf served up five homers to the Cubs yesterday, joining Justin Lehr as the only NL pitchers to allow five homers in a game during the past five seasons.
Marlon Byrd and Geovany Soto both took him deep twice and Derrek Lee blasted his 300th career homer off Wolf, who has now allowed 15 long balls through 13 starts in the first season of a three-year, $30 million contract.
Afterward the 33-year-old southpaw was pretty tough on himself:
This is awful. It’s one of those times when you feel like you’ll wake up and it’s a bad dream. But it’s not. It’s reality. I have to deal with it and try to get better. I’m making a lot of mistakes out there and I’m not getting away with any of them. I’m better than that. I’ve just got to find a way to get better than that. I haven’t pitched well yet in my mind. It’s frustrating because I don’t feel any different than I did last year. The results definitely aren’t there. I’ve got to do something to get better results than I’m getting right now.
Wolf is now 4-6 with a 5.31 ERA and 49/39 K/BB ratio in 78 innings overall this season, which can’t make the Brewers feel good about owing him another $9.5 million in both 2011 and 2012 with a $10 million option or $1.5 million buyout for his age 36 season in 2013. Not quite Jeff Suppan territory yet, but he’s going in that direction and the Brewers may want to take a little break from signing non-elite, over-30 free agent starters.
- World Series Reset: On to AT&T Park 8
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? 94
- John Hart to be named Braves President of Baseball Operations 3
- No, Ned Yost didn’t “out-manage” Bruce Bochy. His players played better 69
- At least Hunter Strickland entertained us last night 37
- Royals even up World Series with 7-2 Game 2 victory 43
- Craig Kimbrel wins Trevor Hoffman Award; Greg Holland gets Mariano Rivera Award 16
- World Series, Game 2: Giants vs. Royals lineups 10
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (129)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? (93)