Jun 10, 2010, 10:50 AM EDT
Joe Strauss of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch cites a team source who says that the Cardinals are starting to look for starting pitching help. The deal is this: Kyle Lohse and Brad Penny will likely come back, but no one is quite sure when, and they need to plug the rotation holes.
The unsettling part: Tony La Russa and Dave Duncan, who reportedly initiated the search for pitching, are lobbying for Jeff Suppan. To which I can only say “eek!” OK, sure, if there’s anyone you’d trust to fix Jeff Suppan it would be Dave Duncan because he’s the best there is, but he’s still Jeff Suppan, dudes.
Other possibilities mentioned: Kevin Millwood and Brian Bannister. Each, I think, could be intriguing additions. The former is struggling right now and the latter is surging, but I think each of them could do well with some time in the NL.
The one course that seems to have been ruled out is a Pedro Martinez-style reclamation project, which probably makes sense.
- John Schuerholz defines “The Braves Way.” And it’s a pretty big pile of crap. 4
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 11
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 42
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 45
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 58
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 58
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (123)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (88)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)