Jun 10, 2010, 10:50 AM EST
Joe Strauss of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch cites a team source who says that the Cardinals are starting to look for starting pitching help. The deal is this: Kyle Lohse and Brad Penny will likely come back, but no one is quite sure when, and they need to plug the rotation holes.
The unsettling part: Tony La Russa and Dave Duncan, who reportedly initiated the search for pitching, are lobbying for Jeff Suppan. To which I can only say “eek!” OK, sure, if there’s anyone you’d trust to fix Jeff Suppan it would be Dave Duncan because he’s the best there is, but he’s still Jeff Suppan, dudes.
Other possibilities mentioned: Kevin Millwood and Brian Bannister. Each, I think, could be intriguing additions. The former is struggling right now and the latter is surging, but I think each of them could do well with some time in the NL.
The one course that seems to have been ruled out is a Pedro Martinez-style reclamation project, which probably makes sense.
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 40
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 19
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 4
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 2
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 359
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 33
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (360)
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- John Baker, Jeremy Brown, coal mines and class (80)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (76)