The Marlins are putting fish in backstop

Jun 10, 2010, 1:15 PM EDT

The Marlins are putting salt water aquariums in the home plate backstops at their new ballpark.  An artist’s rendering is here.  Apparently the glass will be of bulletproof strength.

I realize that people may react strongly to his, but I’m thinking that this is pretty spiffy. Anything to avoid silly, nostalgic design flourishes — which the Marlins seem intent on doing with their new ballpark — is a good move in my book.

The used to always put “no pepper” signs on those backstops.  Now they should put “no pepper unless accompanied by a little salt, some oil and a nice squeeze of lemon.”

1. Ray Knight Looks Like Tip O'Neill - What Happened? - Jun 10, 2010 at 1:27 PM

I never understood the “No Pepper” thing. Why did they ban pepper in all these parks?

2. PatrickDC - Jun 10, 2010 at 1:43 PM

Sounds like a cool idea for fans, but a really bad idea for the fish stuck in there. When a ball smacks against that glass it’s going to cause massive sound pressure waves in the water. Maybe they’re testing this, but this just doesn’t seem like a good idea.

3. Schlegrun - Jun 10, 2010 at 1:55 PM

It Does sound/look like a cool idea. The rendering is neat to look at but the number of people attending the ‘rendered game’ is crazy. I dont think the Fish had that many people at their World Series games…

4. Morgan W - Jun 10, 2010 at 2:00 PM

So if you put lots of pretty coloured fish in-front of people, they wont get pissed at the club not spending any money on players? McCourt like extravagance.

5. Morgan W - Jun 10, 2010 at 2:05 PM

I take all that back if they put a Marlin in there. It has to be a Marlin right? The mind boggles.

6. Andrew - Jun 10, 2010 at 2:11 PM

As someone who’s into reefkeeping almost as much as baseball I think this is a really neat idea, if done right. Most public displays are severely lacking though…
    I think if they have this “bulletproof” glass then have the actual tank inside this, that should protect the fish from vibrations.

7. Old Gator - Jun 10, 2010 at 2:31 PM

One million dollars, Mr. Bond.

8. Cru11 - Jun 10, 2010 at 2:33 PM

Feesh!! Haha I beat you to it Old Gator.

9. JBerardi - Jun 10, 2010 at 2:36 PM

I cannot even properly describe how much this disgusts me.

10. Richie - Jun 10, 2010 at 2:48 PM

Can you at least try? I think it’s great that they embrace their name (or at least the general idea of it) and do something that makes their park special. If they can solve the problems with baseball impacts and general noise level overall, then it’s a creative way to make their ballpark unique.

11. Rays fan - Jun 10, 2010 at 2:49 PM

I really hope there’s a double panelled system–essentially a tank behind a second tank wall. A Feesh tank is a cool idea, but not if percussion vibrations result in dead Feesh.

12. Kro - Jun 10, 2010 at 3:02 PM

Hopefully Major League Blitzball isn’t too far behind.

13. Old Gator - Jun 10, 2010 at 3:30 PM

Oh shit! It’s Mr. Creosote!

14. Megan - Jun 10, 2010 at 3:58 PM

Umm, hello, Target Field, we’re taking your glare issues and flipping them to the pitcher and every other player trying to see what the batter’s doing.

15. floriolovesmen - Jun 10, 2010 at 7:17 PM

Que Peta Protestors in South Florida….

16. Steve - Jun 11, 2010 at 11:07 AM

My whole life I’ve been getting yelled at for tapping on the glass but a foul ball slamming against it is suddenly allowed? PETA’s gonna be up in arms.

Orioles turn AL East on its head