White Sox general manager says 'some changes need to take place'

Jun 10, 2010, 12:45 PM EDT

Earlier this week Buster Olney of ESPN reported that the White Sox told other teams that they’re “open for business” and willing to trade veteran players, and yesterday general manager Ken Williams basically admitted as much:

Some changes need to take place. I don’t know what and I don’t when but some changes need to take place. Things aren’t happening the way that we envisioned and when they don’t happen the way you envision you’ve got to make an adjustment.

I guess I’m not so much on my own time line as I am on other clubs’ time lines. It’s still the early part of June and a lot of clubs are trying to figure their situations out and determine whether they’re in it or not in it or what kind of money they have to spend. There are a lot of variables that go into the mix so even if I want to do something, it’s not always in my control. … It is what it is. I have to listen. It’s not that I want to, but I’m not blind.

Williams added that “other teams seem to want our players,” which certainly seems to indicate that he’s already been shopping various veterans around. Paul Konerko has been linked to the Angels following Kendy Morales’ broken ankle and last week A.J. Pierzynski said he’d be open to a trade, although Monday the catcher will have the service time needed to become a “10-and-5 player” with the ability to veto any deal.
Matt Thornton and to a lesser extent Bobby Jenks, J.J. Putz, and Scott Linebrink could be targeted by teams in need of bullpen help and perhaps Andruw Jones would be a fit on a contender’s bench, but with Jake Peavy’s contract already looking untradeable Williams seemingly doesn’t have a ton of other marketable pieces unless he wants to start unloading guys like Mark Buehrle or Carlos Quentin.
Given his history of bold moves I certainly wouldn’t put anything past Williams, especially considering the team’s 104-116 record since the start of 2009.

1. TMW - Jun 10, 2010 at 12:57 PM

I’ve probably posted it on here 3-4 times already. But I do not understand how AJ’s 10-5 status means a thing. He’s not from Chicago and I cannot see any reason for AJ to refuse to leave this horrible team for the opportunity to play on a contender.

2. Jonny5 - Jun 10, 2010 at 1:08 PM

Is Ozzie still crying about his son? Here’s the reaction of Jamie Moyer when his son was selected by the Twins in the 22nd round. http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/phillies/20100610_Is_a_Moyer_dynasty_in_the_making_.html#axzz0qTE8Gkd8

3. ben - Jun 10, 2010 at 2:07 PM

I do not understand how AJ’s 10-5 status means a thing
    It gives him leverage. He can decide where he’s willing to play and he can negotiate changes to his contract in exchange for waiving the no-trade clause I think.

4. Jamie - Jun 10, 2010 at 2:48 PM

According to Cot’s Baseball Contracts, Pierzynski actually has a no-trade clause in his current contract. I assume that means there are certain teams to which he does not wish to be traded.

5. dp - Jun 12, 2010 at 12:44 AM

The biggest change that needs to take place is to get rid of Ozzie. He has gotten to comfortable as manager . He’s a loud mouth and a loser . Time for a change .

Who are the favorites for Rookie of the Year?
  1. J. Soler (3389)