Jun 10, 2010, 12:45 PM EDT
Earlier this week Buster Olney of ESPN reported that the White Sox told other teams that they’re “open for business” and willing to trade veteran players, and yesterday general manager Ken Williams basically admitted as much:
Some changes need to take place. I don’t know what and I don’t when but some changes need to take place. Things aren’t happening the way that we envisioned and when they don’t happen the way you envision you’ve got to make an adjustment.
I guess I’m not so much on my own time line as I am on other clubs’ time lines. It’s still the early part of June and a lot of clubs are trying to figure their situations out and determine whether they’re in it or not in it or what kind of money they have to spend. There are a lot of variables that go into the mix so even if I want to do something, it’s not always in my control. … It is what it is. I have to listen. It’s not that I want to, but I’m not blind.
Williams added that “other teams seem to want our players,” which certainly seems to indicate that he’s already been shopping various veterans around. Paul Konerko has been linked to the Angels following Kendy Morales’ broken ankle and last week A.J. Pierzynski said he’d be open to a trade, although Monday the catcher will have the service time needed to become a “10-and-5 player” with the ability to veto any deal.
Matt Thornton and to a lesser extent Bobby Jenks, J.J. Putz, and Scott Linebrink could be targeted by teams in need of bullpen help and perhaps Andruw Jones would be a fit on a contender’s bench, but with Jake Peavy’s contract already looking untradeable Williams seemingly doesn’t have a ton of other marketable pieces unless he wants to start unloading guys like Mark Buehrle or Carlos Quentin.
Given his history of bold moves I certainly wouldn’t put anything past Williams, especially considering the team’s 104-116 record since the start of 2009.
- The eyes have it: Thomas’ greatness built on patience 7
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams 126
- Mariners re-acquire Kendrys Morales from Twins for Stephen Pryor 19
- A’s designate $10 million reliever Jim Johnson for assignment 34
- Everything you need to know about next week’s trade deadline 32
- Impending free agent Jon Lester won’t talk contract with the Red Sox until after the season 19
- Ten years ago today the Alex Rodriguez-Jason Varitek brawl changed the narrative of the Sox-Yankees rivalry 87
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 30
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (162)
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (134)
- Luke Scott released from Korean team after calling coach a “liar” and a “coward” (108)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)