Jun 10, 2010, 9:08 AM EST
Great post over at The Daily Something this morning trying to figure out which player will be the last Montreal Expos veteran to play in the big leagues. Bill picks Vlad Guerrero on the theory that he’s the best player left and is a DH. Personally I’d go with someone like Jon Rauch or Javier Vazquez, but good arguments can be made for several dudes. Personally I want Matt Stairs to play until he’s 53, but that’s probably not likely.
I’m actually kind of surprised that there are still so many former Expos left. I know 2004 wasn’t that long ago, but it’s not like the late-model Expos had oodles and oodles of talent to burn. But they did have a ton of great players run through there just before the end only to fall victim to the Jeff Loria-induced Expos diaspora that has since fertilized the rosters of a ton of other teams.
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 56
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 85
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 37
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 14
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 120
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 27
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 23
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 63
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (145)
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot (120)
- Today’s specious anti-Mike Piazza-for-the-Hall-Fame argument (96)
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” (85)
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year (85)