Who will be the last Montreal Expo standing?

Jun 10, 2010, 9:08 AM EST

expos logo2.jpgGreat post over at The Daily Something this morning trying to figure out which player will be the last Montreal Expos veteran to play in the big leagues.  Bill picks Vlad Guerrero on the theory that he’s the best player left and is a DH.  Personally I’d go with someone like Jon Rauch or Javier Vazquez, but good arguments can be made for several dudes. Personally I want Matt Stairs to play until he’s 53, but that’s probably not likely.

I’m actually kind of surprised that there are still so many former Expos left.  I know 2004 wasn’t that long ago, but it’s not like the late-model Expos had oodles and oodles of talent to burn.  But they did have a ton of great players run through there just before the end only to fall victim to the Jeff Loria-induced Expos diaspora that has since fertilized the rosters of a ton of other teams.

1. metthunder - Jun 10, 2010 at 9:14 AM

Omar Minaya will definitely trade for them then.

2. Ray Knight Looks Like Tip O'Neill - What Happened? - Jun 10, 2010 at 9:23 AM

Could be Macier Izturis. He’s still only 29.
    Here’s the roster, for reference.

3. Smell the Glove - Jun 10, 2010 at 9:28 AM

I’m a lost Expos fan still trying to find a new team to root for 6 years later…
    Darkhorse Candidate? Chad Cordero. He’s pitched in 3 games this year for the Mariners. If he could ever come close to reproducting his 2005 47 save performance he should have a decent career in the bigs.
    He was only 22 in 2004. So he’s my pick.
    Captcha: do recourse

4. largebill - Jun 10, 2010 at 9:32 AM

That organization really drafted and developed talent well. The list at that link doesn’t include several that were traded before reaching the majors (Sizemore, Phillips & Lee for starters).

5. expos94champs - Jun 10, 2010 at 10:31 AM

My vote is for Oil Can Boyd – i hear he’s making a comeback…….

6. Grant - Jun 10, 2010 at 11:17 AM

It would be fun if it was Livan. His arm will last, the only question is whether he’ll be good enough. I suspect not.

7. scatterbrian - Jun 10, 2010 at 12:51 PM

Milton Bradley.
    Book it.

8. Dr Paisley - Jun 11, 2010 at 12:21 AM

only to fall victim to the Jeff Loria-induced Expos diaspora
    Why is this game different from all other games?
    I, too, want to see Matt Stairs running the bases like a cement mixer whose brakes have failed for many more years.
    “employed winking”

Maddon has high hopes for Cubs
  1. H. Ramirez (4437)