Jun 11, 2010, 11:15 PM EST
UPDATE: Yankees general manager Brian Cashman said Friday that Alex Rodriguez,
who is currently sidelined with hip flexor tendinitis, will not return
to the starting lineup until at least Tuesday, according to Ed Price of
Cashman left open the possibility that Rodriguez could miss even more
time, but said that the team does not believe he will need a stint on
the disabled list.
Rodriguez and the team insist that the injury is not related to last year’s hip surgery.
4:56 PM: When Alex Rodriguez pulled up lame last night, many worried that the real problem was a recurrence of his hip injury from last year, the thinking being that groin issues often surface as a result of compensating for hip problems.
The bad news: Yes, it is a hip issue that is the real problem. The good news: according to Girardi, the issue is “hip flexor
tendinitis,” which is different than the hip problem that resulting in Rordriguez’s hip problems last year.
A-Rod is out of the lineup, but he could pinch hit tonight and is officially listed as day-to-day.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 305
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (305)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (110)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)