Jun 11, 2010, 4:23 PM EST
Carlos Beltran’s rehabilitation continues apace. Today, for the first time, he played some center field in an extended spring training game. He also went 3 for 5 with a homer.
I’ve always wondered about “extended spring training.” Who are the other 17 guys the rehabbing star is playing against? Are they any good? Do they make it like simulated games for pitchers and just make up rules to accommodate the player in question or is it a regulation game? I’m assuming the Mets play their extended spring training games in Tradition Field in Port St. Lucie. Does anyone come to watch them? Do the players go to that same cheesy sports bar around the corner afterward?
I don’t feel like being in Florida in June, but in the interests of journalism, I’d gladly accept an expenses-paid trip down there to cover extended spring training.
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 56
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 23
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 4
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 3
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 360
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 33
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (360)
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- John Baker, Jeremy Brown, coal mines and class (80)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (76)