Jun 11, 2010, 10:57 AM EDT
I don’t necessarily think that Ozzie has a valid point here, if his son is not a legitimate prospect. That said, I can understand him having higher expectations given that 2008 6th round draft pick Ken Williams Jr. is hitting .222/.314/.344 as a 24 year old in high A. Blatant nepotism is only appreciated when everybody gets to benefit.
– The Common Man, reminding us that the White Sox drafting Ozzie Guillen’s son may have been less a favor than it was a standard industry practice.
Aaron touched on this the other day. I still think the worst one ever was when the Braves drafted John Schuerholz, Jr. — son of the GM — a few years ago . . . and kept promoting him despite the fact that he had no demonstrable baseball skills.
- The Cubs to announce the hiring of Joe Maddon on Monday 9
- Cubs fire manager Rick Renteria, clear way for Joe Maddon 48
- HardballTalk’s Top 150 Free Agents for 2015 22
- Joe Maddon’s pursuit of the Cubs job called “a classless act” by some in the game 112
- Kevin Youkilis opts for retirement at age 35 30
- 10 nominees for Hall of Fame’s Veterans Committee announced 106
- Bochy’s championship resume ranks among game’s best 19
- Alex Gordon would have been a dead duck had he tried to score 82
- A veteran says enough is enough when it comes to tributes for the soldiers (281)
- Jose Canseco shot his middle finger off (148)
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (142)
- Oscar Taveras dies after car accident in the Dominican Republic (140)
- Joe Maddon’s pursuit of the Cubs job called “a classless act” by some in the game (112)