Jun 11, 2010, 10:57 AM EDT
I don’t necessarily think that Ozzie has a valid point here, if his son is not a legitimate prospect. That said, I can understand him having higher expectations given that 2008 6th round draft pick Ken Williams Jr. is hitting .222/.314/.344 as a 24 year old in high A. Blatant nepotism is only appreciated when everybody gets to benefit.
– The Common Man, reminding us that the White Sox drafting Ozzie Guillen’s son may have been less a favor than it was a standard industry practice.
Aaron touched on this the other day. I still think the worst one ever was when the Braves drafted John Schuerholz, Jr. — son of the GM — a few years ago . . . and kept promoting him despite the fact that he had no demonstrable baseball skills.
- 2015 Preview: Cincinnati Reds 4
- The average Major League Baseball salary this year will be more than $4 million — a record 11
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 17
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 70
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 8
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 69
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 26
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (90)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)