Fans at Wrigley Field boo BP trophy

Jun 11, 2010, 8:34 PM EDT

BP trophy thing.jpgWe’ve seen some pretty unfortunate sponsorships and naming rights in the recent past. Who can forget that Minute Maid Park was once known as Enron Field? More recently, the Mets took quite a bit of heat when rolling out Citi Field. But BP may have picked the worst year possible to be the title sponsor for the interleague series between the Cubs and White Sox.

According to the Associated Press, fans rained down boos when the “BP Crosstown Cup” was presented behind home plate before Friday’s game.

According to Michelle Lodge of CNBC.com, the three-year sponsorship was announced on April 26, six days after the oil spill began. Naming rights aside, I’m a little confused here. What happens if the teams split the six games? Seems to me that BP should have had some sort of contingency plan in place.

1. Craig Calcaterra - Jun 11, 2010 at 8:42 PM

“Seems to me that BP should have had some sort of contingency plan in place.”
    Line of the day on the blog.

2. D.J. Short - Jun 11, 2010 at 9:04 PM

Ha. Thanks. I’m guessing I’m missing something here, because it just doesn’t make much sense. Maybe it’s something where the winning team of each series gets to keep the cup just like the Empire State Building is lit up with the winning team’s colors after the Subway Series.
    Oh well, I won’t let that get in the way of a good line!

3. JBerardi - Jun 11, 2010 at 9:11 PM

Alright wingnuts, time to begin preparing your hair-brained conspiracy theories

4. YankeesfanLen - Jun 11, 2010 at 10:22 PM

Uh, D.J., unless I’m missing something here, I think Craig was referring to the certain faux pas in the gulf rather than a baseball trophy.

5. YankeesfanLen - Jun 11, 2010 at 10:30 PM

Not to drag this out, but one legitimate reason for the sponsorship also might be that BP is partially the old Amoco, which was formerly Standard Oil of……Illinois.

6. D.J. Short - Jun 11, 2010 at 10:34 PM

Len,
    I’m obviously aware of that fact, otherwise I wouldn’t have mentioned it at all.

7. YankeesfanLen - Jun 11, 2010 at 10:41 PM

Sorry, no offense intended, just didn’t take your response to Craig correctly the first time. Anyway, Yanks won despite Andy fiddley-farting playing NL nibbling in the 2nd.
    Yankees-Mets always big on Empire State Building. Mother Teresa and Marines…..not so much.

8. D.J. Short - Jun 11, 2010 at 11:04 PM

No problem, Len.

9. maarthaardy - Jun 12, 2010 at 2:31 AM

Okay, my father and I were talking about ways to get opposing fans angry…aside from A-Rod hitting a go ahead three run homer in the top of the ninth agains Papelbon, or Pujols crushing a grand slam in Chicago (yes i know they played in st. louis tonight) i have found the best way to get fans to boo.
    Here it is…
    If I ever get famous…I would like to go to Wrigley Stadi…(whoops sorry Jeff Gordon…what an idiot) I would like to go to Wrigley Field and sing the seventh inning stretch when they play the Cardinals. After I finished I would shout.
    “WOOOOO! Let’s Score Some Runs! Come On St. Louis!”
    After hearing what kind of boo’s I would receive…I would run like hell to get out of there.
    Pure Cleanse

10. maarthaardy - Jun 12, 2010 at 2:32 AM

Here it is…
    “WOOOOO! Let’s Score Some Runs! Come On St. Louis!”
    Pure Cleanse

11. Andy - Jun 12, 2010 at 5:50 AM

I knew it, the spill is all Ozzie’s fault!

12. sjp - Jun 12, 2010 at 8:45 AM

So….who get’s this trophy? The winner or the loser of the series? The team with the most errors?

13. Old Gator - Jun 12, 2010 at 9:36 AM

I suspect that the spill itself was patterned on one of Ozzie’s interviews.

14. K-dub - Jun 12, 2010 at 12:24 PM

If the teams split the 6 games series the BP cup will go to the team that won the last game of the six games – BP, as always, was on top of things

Who are the favorites for Rookie of the Year?
  1. J. Soler (3618)