Ozzie Guillen and Kenny Williams "almost came to blows"

Jun 11, 2010, 10:17 AM EDT

Ozzie and Kenny.jpgYesterday Kenny Williams complained of the White Sox’ “soap opera.”  Today Joe Cowley of the Sun-Times reports that it may be more like “Tuesday Night Fights”:

After the White Sox’ 3-0 victory over the Detroit Tigers, the Sun-Times
was told by a team source that general manager Ken Williams and manager
Ozzie Guillen ”almost came to blows in a heated shouting match” on
Tuesday evening because of the draft fallout of Guillen’s youngest son,
Ozney.

What led to the confrontation was Ozzie’s comment after Ozney fell to the 22nd round: “‘I give my kid 50 grand just to go to school [at the University of
South Florida rather than sign with the Sox]. I got 50 grand in my
pocket to send my kid to go to Niketown or buy something.”

I guess that’s Ozzie being dismissive of the small signing bonus Ozney will get due to being such a low pick.  Of course if it wasn’t for his daddy he wouldn’t have gotten picked at all, I presume, so one can understand why Williams might have been pissed at getting needled by Ozzie about it.

Cowley suggests — as have many before him — that team owner Jerry Reinsdorf will always take Ozzie’s side over Kenny’s, so there’s really no way for Kenny to deal with the situation. When your authority is undermined like that and no one above you has your back, what choice do you have but to quit?

1. The Common Man - Jun 11, 2010 at 10:34 AM

I don’t necessarily think that Ozzie has a valid point here, if his son is not a legitimate prospect. That said, I can understand him having higher expectations given that 2008 6th round draft pick Ken Williams Jr. is hitting .222/.314/.344 as a 24 year old in high A. Blatant nepotism is only appreciated when everybody gets to benefit.

2. ecp - Jun 11, 2010 at 10:38 AM

Ozzie: Your son sucks. Get over it.

3. YankeesfanLen - Jun 11, 2010 at 10:49 AM

I’m just trying to get my mind around this as opposed to a conflict within the Universe. Joe Girardi and Brian Cashman in a boardroom with dueling powerpoints? Stat books kicked around (well, maybe if Hank is there)?

4. Joey B - Jun 11, 2010 at 11:05 AM

“Blatant nepotism is only appreciated when everybody gets to benefit.”
    True dat. I generally find that the people that dislike the ‘system’ are those that have not yet learned how to game it.

5. Tony L - Jun 11, 2010 at 12:14 PM

Perhaps there should be a system one doesn’t need to “game”.

6. ogza - Jun 11, 2010 at 2:31 PM

Nepotism in Baseball? Why not, they’ve got the advantage of growing up with a full time Major League coach. Should have a very good perspective on what is expected at the pro level…. but Ozzy as a roll model..?

7. Benji - Jun 11, 2010 at 3:44 PM

As someone who comes from the same country as Ozzie, I can tell you the “I can get a job for my son” culture is not only assumed, but expected. Ozzie’s just surprised the Sox actually based the offer on his kid’s qualifications, not his relationships.

8. Don - Jun 11, 2010 at 5:31 PM

Why does ANYONE care what Ozzie has to say??? He’s nothing but a loudmouthed asshole and should have been fired and run out of MLB long ago.

9. Nasty Boy - Jun 12, 2010 at 10:04 AM

I couldn’t have said it better . His act has really gotten old . Kenny Williams is no prize either , but he’s the lesser of the evils. It’s time for Ozzie to grab his hat and coat and get in the wind .

10. dsmith4444 - Jun 12, 2010 at 2:38 PM

Ozzie is boring. Kenny is boring. Chicago media, is this all that you have to write about? Boring

11. dsmith4444 - Jun 12, 2010 at 2:42 PM

Is that roll as in piece of bread, turn over or role as in traits? Ie. Turn/Bread vs. character.

All the trade deadline news to know