Jun 11, 2010, 8:20 AM EDT
Nothing is official yet but Enrique Rojas of ESPN Deportes reports the Indians will call up 24-year-old catcher Carlos Santana before tonight’s game against the Nationals, which is somewhat surprising given that the team indicated just last week they weren’t close to promoting him.
Acquired from the Dodgers in the mid-2008 trade for Casey Blake, he’s emerged as arguably the best of the MLB-ready prospects not already called up this month. A switch-hitter with power and patience, Santana has batted .307/.440/.568 with 12 homers and more walks than strikeouts in 56 games at Triple-A.
His arrival could mean a demotion to Triple-A for Lou Marson given that the Indians would likely want to keep veteran Mike Redmond around in a backup role. For a lot more about Santana’s considerable upside offensively, check out Matthew’s write-up from earlier this week.
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 12
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 75
- 2015 Preview: Pittsburgh Pirates 12
- 2015 Preview: San Diego Padres 22
- MLB is looking into some strange gambling tweets involving Marlins pitcher Jarred Cosart 46
- 2015 Preview: New York Yankees 63
- 2015 Preview: Cleveland Indians 10
- Dodgers sign Cuban star Hector Olivera for $62.5 million 55
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (99)
- Joe West ejects A.J. Pierzynski by calmly telling the Braves’ dugout “you need a new catcher.” (97)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras (76)