Slumping Dustin Pedroia wears brace on knee

Jun 11, 2010, 2:44 PM EDT

Dustin Pedroia wore a brace on his right knee for the first time last night and admitted after the game that his performance has been hurt by the injury:

My knee hurts, but it’ll be fine. I don’t weigh that much, so I don’t carry around a lot of weight. We’ll find a way to play through it. I’ll heal while I play. I’ve got to get out there and help us win. That’s my job.

Terry Francona told reporters that “his knee is bothering him probably more than he lets on” and the numbers certainly agree. Pedroia injured his knee during a play at the plate on May 14. At the time he was hitting .297 with a career-high .908 OPS, but in the 24 games since then he’s just 18-for-99 (.182) with zero homers and a .529 OPS.
It hasn’t become much an issue yet because the Red Sox are 16-8 in those 24 games, but winning in spite of one of the team’s best players isn’t the world’s most sustainable plan and they’ll obviously need him to start hitting again at some point. Hopefully the brace isn’t a sign of the injury being more significant than is being let on, because if that’s the case “I’ll heal while I play” may not doing anyone any good.

1. mattymatty2000 - Jun 11, 2010 at 3:46 PM

Its a shame because they used to have this guy called “Jed Lowrie” who played 2nd base and shortstop pretty well, but I think he’s off on a mountaintop somewhere.

2. shoestring - Jun 11, 2010 at 4:48 PM

dustin will rough it out, and mattymatty2000 Jed is recovering from Mono he almost died.

3. kerpal - Jun 11, 2010 at 6:53 PM

Who cares ? the little guy is overrated anyway . Because of his small size people think he’s special . He couldn’t hold Cano’s , or Utley’s underwear. I said this before , he won’t be around in five years. Once he starts to fade Boston will dump him like a cheap suit . Remember where you heard it .

4. ASmith - Jun 11, 2010 at 9:30 PM

I dont know why you think he’s overrated, his statistics prove hes a real good player, size or not. And if he does fade in 5 years, yeah I would hope the sox get rid of him, just like they did Nomar. But untill then, comparing him too acouple of the top second baseman in the league is okay with me.

5. fashionbags - Jun 12, 2010 at 10:44 AM

Smful short_t-shirt_woman $15
    Sandal $32
    Sungl $15
    handbag $33

6. Garett - Jun 12, 2010 at 4:22 PM

I think a Rookie of the Year Award and American League MVP beg to differ…

7. kerpal - Jun 12, 2010 at 5:54 PM

That was yesterday ,” what have you done for me lately ” Take him out of Fenway and he’s not the same player . I don’t know his stats (and I could care less ) But I’ll bet they’re much worse on the road. Don’t think he’ll be around very long , and Boston will dump him just like they did Nomar when he started to lose it .

Pineda ejection wrong message from MLB
  1. I. Davis (3655)