Jun 11, 2010, 2:44 PM EDT
My knee hurts, but it’ll be fine. I don’t weigh that much, so I don’t carry around a lot of weight. We’ll find a way to play through it. I’ll heal while I play. I’ve got to get out there and help us win. That’s my job.
Terry Francona told reporters that “his knee is bothering him probably more than he lets on” and the numbers certainly agree. Pedroia injured his knee during a play at the plate on May 14. At the time he was hitting .297 with a career-high .908 OPS, but in the 24 games since then he’s just 18-for-99 (.182) with zero homers and a .529 OPS.
It hasn’t become much an issue yet because the Red Sox are 16-8 in those 24 games, but winning in spite of one of the team’s best players isn’t the world’s most sustainable plan and they’ll obviously need him to start hitting again at some point. Hopefully the brace isn’t a sign of the injury being more significant than is being let on, because if that’s the case “I’ll heal while I play” may not doing anyone any good.
- Video: Watch Kris Bryant get his first major league hit and RBI 4
- Yordano Ventura ejected for hitting Brett Lawrie with a pitch 15
- Pete Rose joins FOX as a baseball analyst 18
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 55
- Josh Hamilton’s teammates say he’s in great shape and ready to play 28
- Mike Trout hit his 100th career home run to become the youngest member of the 100 HR/100 SB club 26
- Make that two: Alex Rodriguez hits second homer of the night, giving him 658 for his career 48
- Alex Rodriguez hit his 657th career home run 49
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract (153)
- “Why Ted Cruz is like the Atlanta Braves” (150)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (127)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)