Jun 11, 2010, 2:44 PM EST
My knee hurts, but it’ll be fine. I don’t weigh that much, so I don’t carry around a lot of weight. We’ll find a way to play through it. I’ll heal while I play. I’ve got to get out there and help us win. That’s my job.
Terry Francona told reporters that “his knee is bothering him probably more than he lets on” and the numbers certainly agree. Pedroia injured his knee during a play at the plate on May 14. At the time he was hitting .297 with a career-high .908 OPS, but in the 24 games since then he’s just 18-for-99 (.182) with zero homers and a .529 OPS.
It hasn’t become much an issue yet because the Red Sox are 16-8 in those 24 games, but winning in spite of one of the team’s best players isn’t the world’s most sustainable plan and they’ll obviously need him to start hitting again at some point. Hopefully the brace isn’t a sign of the injury being more significant than is being let on, because if that’s the case “I’ll heal while I play” may not doing anyone any good.
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 46
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 37
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 170
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 11
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 34
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 37
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 52
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 26
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (170)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (83)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (77)