The Baseball Greats Chessboard

Jun 11, 2010, 2:12 PM EDT

Our friend lar from Wezen-Ball has created a baseball-themed chess set. At least the design for one. I like it because he tried to match the attributes of the chess pieces to the players he uses for each piece. For example, knights are versatile and disruptive, so he makes Rickey Henderson a knight. Pawns are useful yet underappreciated, so guys like Lou Whitaker are pawns.  Fun stuff.

Although lar, I gotta tell ya: if you ever you call Greg Maddux a queen again this will be the last time I link to you, understand me?

1. Old Gator - Jun 11, 2010 at 2:23 PM

Not fair to Maddux. There’s always the other Billy Beane to be one queen, and so what if they were just pernicious rumors, how about Mike Piazza for the other one? Rumors are as good as news these days; just ask any Trailer Park Network anchorman or New York Post feature writer. For all we know, John Stearns might have known something we don’t when he stalked up and down the dugout snorting “The monster’s out of the cage! The monster’s out of the cage!”

2. nps6724 - Jun 11, 2010 at 2:36 PM

Considering starting pitchers only play once every 4/5 days, shouldn’t they be the kings, who only move one space at a time? Position players play everyday, similar to the queen being able to move multiple spaces.
    RC: used nicotine
    Gross.

3. lar @ wezen-ball - Jun 11, 2010 at 3:18 PM

Thanks, Craig. Glad you liked it, Queen Maddux besides. I could’ve put Pedro or Johnson there, you know. That would’ve been worse, I think, than not having him at all…
    And, nps, I definitely thought of that too. The queen is certainly the most powerful piece on the board, and that’s easily the Bonds/Ruth everyday players, and not the Johnson/Maddux pitchers. But the king is also the figurehead of the board and, as such, demands the best player. When Babe Ruth is on your team, he’s the leader, he’s the guy that they name the team after. So I had to go with that setup.
    And, hey, we can always rationalize it by saying that great pitchers are too often overlooked by the big name sluggers (just like Maddux and Walter Johnson!)

4. RichardInDallas - Jun 11, 2010 at 4:18 PM

Wouldn’t Pete Rose be a rook? I mean…Powerful in one direction, either home to first or the dugout to the book joint…

5. lar @ wezen-ball - Jun 11, 2010 at 5:16 PM

Yes, Pete Rose is probably the quintessential rook. But I don’t really like Rose, so I wasn’t eager to put him on the team. And since Joe Morgan *had* to be on the team, and since I was trying to spread out the represented teams/eras, I decided not to put both of them in the set. Ruth and Gehrig are teammates on one side, but I didn’t think Rose/Morgan was as mandatory as those two.

6. fashionbags - Jun 12, 2010 at 10:43 AM

Smful short_t-shirt_woman $15
    Sandal $32
    Sungl $15
    handbag $33

7. fashionbags - Jun 12, 2010 at 10:44 AM

Smful short_t-shirt_woman $15
    Sandal $32
    Sungl $15
    handbag $33

Managers get easier path to Cooperstown
  1. H. Street (3449)