Jun 11, 2010, 3:48 PM EDT
Cleveland isn’t wasting any time with Carlos Santana, making the 24-year-old catcher their No. 3 hitter for his big-league debut tonight against the Nationals.
Obviously the Indians’ lineup isn’t exactly stacked with dangerous bats and as a switch-hitter with power and patience Santana projects as an ideal No. 3 guy, but many teams prefer to slowly work a young player in lower in the lineup. For instance, Mike Stanton has begun his major-league career batting seventh in the Marlins’ lineup despite being a prototypical cleanup hitter
In calling up Santana the Indians also demoted Lou Marson to Triple-A after he started 43 of the first 59 games behind the plate. Marson can’t compete with Santana when it comes to long-term upside and was little more than a place-holder from the moment the Indians got him from the Phillies in the Cliff Lee trade last July, but he’s also just 24 years old and likely has a future as a starting catcher in the majors.
Marson hit just .191 with a .530 through 45 games, but if he can put together a solid stretch at Triple-A the Indians should be able to get some value for him. Or they could keep him around as the long-term backup for Santana, but that doesn’t seem like a great use of resources. He lacks power, but Marson has a .370 on-base percentage in the minors and was once considered one of the game’s better catching prospects.
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 0
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 8
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 28
- Clayton Kershaw blanks the Angels over eight innings, runs consecutive scoreless innings streak to 37 19
- Clayton Kershaw and Mike Trout make MLB history in Saturday’s matchup 13
- Matt Williams on Bryce Harper’s ejection: “He needs to stay in the baseball game” 42
- UPDATE: C.J. Wilson needs elbow surgery and will likely miss the rest of the season 14
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 45
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (188)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)