Jun 12, 2010, 12:54 PM EST
Chris Coghlan was 4-for-4 with two walks, two doubles, an RBI single and four runs scored in a 14-9 win over the Rays on Friday night.
Last year’s National League Rookie of the Year scuffled to a .227/.276/.292 triple-slash through April and May, but he is 20-for-38 (.526) through the first nine games this month. The 24-year-old outfielder has hit safely in each of his last 11 games dating back to last month, eight of which are multi-hit games.
Marlins manager Freddy Gonzalez told Joey Johnston of the Tampa Tribune that he was never worried about Coghlan’s early season struggles.
“Look, you don’t worry about a kid like Chris Coghlan,” Marlins manager
Fredi Gonzalez said. “He just keeps working. He doesn’t change his
approach. By the end of the season, he’ll be hitting .300, probably
Coghlan enters Saturday’s action at .278/.331/.381
overall. Oh, and remember that it took him 105 at-bats to collect his first extra-base hit this season? Well, he has eight of them in just 38 at-bats this month. Is it possible that Coghlan was motivated by the prospect of losing playing time with Mike Stanton’s arrival to the big leagues? Perhaps. Coincidence or not, the Marlins will gladly take it.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 307
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (134)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)