Jun 12, 2010, 4:42 PM EDT
Not only was Daisuke Matsuzaka a late scratch from his scheduled start against the Phillies on Saturday afternoon, he was also placed on the 15-day disabled list with a right forearm strain, according to Brian MacPherson of the Providence Journal.
Dice-K informed the team of discomfort in his forearm while warming up before the game, according to Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe. The severity of the injury is not yet known.
Matsuzaka, who started the year on the disabled list with a neck strain, is 5-2 with a 4.59 ERA over his first eight starts this season. He recently tossed eight shutout innings in a win over the Indians on Monday night.
Scott Atchison, who was called up from Triple-A Pawtucket when Jeremy Hermida was placed on the DL on Friday, is making his first major league start in Matsuzaka’s place. The 34-year-old right-hander entered Saturday’s action with a 4.50 ERA over nine relief appearances with the Red Sox this season.
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 23
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 3
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 17
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 47
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 12
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 15
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 39
- Bobby Bonilla’s isn’t the only deferred money deal in the game. And isn’t even the worst. 50
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)