Jun 12, 2010, 4:42 PM EST
Not only was Daisuke Matsuzaka a late scratch from his scheduled start against the Phillies on Saturday afternoon, he was also placed on the 15-day disabled list with a right forearm strain, according to Brian MacPherson of the Providence Journal.
Dice-K informed the team of discomfort in his forearm while warming up before the game, according to Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe. The severity of the injury is not yet known.
Matsuzaka, who started the year on the disabled list with a neck strain, is 5-2 with a 4.59 ERA over his first eight starts this season. He recently tossed eight shutout innings in a win over the Indians on Monday night.
Scott Atchison, who was called up from Triple-A Pawtucket when Jeremy Hermida was placed on the DL on Friday, is making his first major league start in Matsuzaka’s place. The 34-year-old right-hander entered Saturday’s action with a 4.50 ERA over nine relief appearances with the Red Sox this season.
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 11
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 56
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. 141
- Jake Peavy agrees to a two-year, $24 million deal to stay with the San Francisco Giants 24
- Matt Kemp has officially been traded to the Padres 29
- Padres acquire catcher Derek Norris from Athletics 37
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site 90
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (142)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)