Jun 12, 2010, 4:42 PM EDT
Not only was Daisuke Matsuzaka a late scratch from his scheduled start against the Phillies on Saturday afternoon, he was also placed on the 15-day disabled list with a right forearm strain, according to Brian MacPherson of the Providence Journal.
Dice-K informed the team of discomfort in his forearm while warming up before the game, according to Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe. The severity of the injury is not yet known.
Matsuzaka, who started the year on the disabled list with a neck strain, is 5-2 with a 4.59 ERA over his first eight starts this season. He recently tossed eight shutout innings in a win over the Indians on Monday night.
Scott Atchison, who was called up from Triple-A Pawtucket when Jeremy Hermida was placed on the DL on Friday, is making his first major league start in Matsuzaka’s place. The 34-year-old right-hander entered Saturday’s action with a 4.50 ERA over nine relief appearances with the Red Sox this season.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 34
- Cliff Lee struggles in first start back from disabled list 12
- On the 10th anniversary of his MLB debut, let’s appreciate David Wright 29
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 36
- Odrisamer Despaigne loses his no-hitter with two outs in the eighth inning 8
- Brandon Belt headed to disabled list with concussion 5
- Cardinals are interested in David Price, but “would want a financial commitment” from him 47
- Blue Jays, Giants “taking their best shot” at Chase Utley 19
- Baseball is dying, you guys (149)
- Luke Scott released from Korean team after calling coach a “liar” and a “coward” (108)
- Watch Derek Jeter tell Joe Buck to get the heck out of the clubhouse (91)
- Adam Wainwright follows the rules and pays the price (90)
- The Astros did not sign number one overall pick Brady Aiken. This is a big deal. (90)