Jun 12, 2010, 4:42 PM EST
Not only was Daisuke Matsuzaka a late scratch from his scheduled start against the Phillies on Saturday afternoon, he was also placed on the 15-day disabled list with a right forearm strain, according to Brian MacPherson of the Providence Journal.
Dice-K informed the team of discomfort in his forearm while warming up before the game, according to Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe. The severity of the injury is not yet known.
Matsuzaka, who started the year on the disabled list with a neck strain, is 5-2 with a 4.59 ERA over his first eight starts this season. He recently tossed eight shutout innings in a win over the Indians on Monday night.
Scott Atchison, who was called up from Triple-A Pawtucket when Jeremy Hermida was placed on the DL on Friday, is making his first major league start in Matsuzaka’s place. The 34-year-old right-hander entered Saturday’s action with a 4.50 ERA over nine relief appearances with the Red Sox this season.
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 25
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 26
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 145
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 374
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (375)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (145)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)