Jun 12, 2010, 4:42 PM EDT
Not only was Daisuke Matsuzaka a late scratch from his scheduled start against the Phillies on Saturday afternoon, he was also placed on the 15-day disabled list with a right forearm strain, according to Brian MacPherson of the Providence Journal.
Dice-K informed the team of discomfort in his forearm while warming up before the game, according to Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe. The severity of the injury is not yet known.
Matsuzaka, who started the year on the disabled list with a neck strain, is 5-2 with a 4.59 ERA over his first eight starts this season. He recently tossed eight shutout innings in a win over the Indians on Monday night.
Scott Atchison, who was called up from Triple-A Pawtucket when Jeremy Hermida was placed on the DL on Friday, is making his first major league start in Matsuzaka’s place. The 34-year-old right-hander entered Saturday’s action with a 4.50 ERA over nine relief appearances with the Red Sox this season.
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 25
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 72
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 67
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 11
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 99
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 52
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Video: Rusney Castillo notches his first major league hit 7
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (99)
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (91)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)