Jun 12, 2010, 3:33 PM EDT
Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com reported on Friday that the Red Sox were talking trade with the Twins and Rangers about Mike Lowell. The Angels, who are currently in search of a bat with the injury to Kendry Morales, were said to be “hovering” in the conversation.
Just a short while ago, Rosenthal elaborated on the situation via Twitter:
Twins’ field staff lobbying
for Lowell. Need is obvious. Front office would need to work through
$$$ and durability concerns.
The Twins would appear to be a natural fit for the veteran third baseman, as they attempt to compensate for injuries to J.J. Hardy and Orlando Hudson. As alluded to by Rosenthal, Lowell comes has a significant injury history of his own, but he would be a clear upgrade for a team whose third baseman have combined to hit just .209 with two homers, 16 RBI and a 557 OPS, all major league lows.
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 50
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 54
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 29
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 51
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 12
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 17
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 39
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (77)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)