Jun 12, 2010, 12:30 PM EDT
Before Friday’s opener against the Yankees, Roy Oswalt dodged the obvious questions about a potential trade to the Bronx (via Brian McTaggart of MLB.com).
“From the very beginning, I’ve said I want to go to an organization that
wants to win, and the Yankees surely want to win,” Oswalt said. “I’m
going to let the front office and my agent handle that. My main focus
right now is just to put us in a situation to win every time I go out
there. The other stuff can handle itself.”
Oswalt, who has a no-trade clause in his contract, has already made it clear that he would like to go to a contender, but he downplayed a recent report by Ed Price of AOL Fanhouse that he would only accept a trade to a specific list of teams.
“Somebody said something about a list [of desirable destination teams]
not too long ago, and I don’t know anything about that,” Oswalt said.
“We’ll see where I fit as far as my options and go from there. So far, I
haven’t heard anything from the front office. They haven’t come back
and said anything, and until they approach me about a team that fits for
me and fits for the team, nothing’s been said.”
Some will take McTaggart’s report to mean that Oswalt would consider being traded to the Yankees and that could be very well be true. They certainly fit the mold of “a contender” and have the deepest of deep pockets. But in the end it’s not a whole lot different from what he told Adam Kilgore of the Washington Post when he was asked about the Nationals two weeks ago. Nothing much.
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 41
- Andrew McCutchen departs game versus Cardinals after aggravating injured left rib cage 4
- Mariners extend general manager Jack Zduriencik’s contract 14
- Money, money, money (and Bud Selig’s nirvana) 15
- These days, the correlation between payroll and winning is historically weak 60
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 49
- Report: Cubs calling up top prospect outfielder Jorge Soler 40
- Shin-Soo Choo to undergo season-ending bone spur surgery on elbow 13
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (247)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (143)
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million (96)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Even if he’s reinstated, does Pete Rose make the Hall of Fame? (89)