Jun 12, 2010, 9:41 AM EDT
Ubaldo Jimenez tossed his “worst” start of the season in a rain-shortened affair against the Blue Jays on Friday night, allowing a season-high three runs while walking five over six innings. Still, it was just enough to push Jimenez to his major-league best 12th victory of the season, as the Rockies won the game 5-3.
The start of the game was delayed for an hour and 45 minutes and Jimenez told Joey Nowak of MLB.com that he had a hard time being out there at all.
“It wasn’t easy to be out there,” Jimenez said. “I didn’t have any feel
for any of my pitches, even my fastball. I was trying to throw hard and I
couldn’t. … The ball just slipped out my fingers most of the time.
Everything was wet. I couldn’t push off the mound.”
If you didn’t see it, the image to the right simply won’t do the night justice. Russ Oates of Purple Row has a picture of what the grounds crew had to deal with.
It wasn’t pretty, but this victory goes in the books as Jimenez’s third complete-game of the season. His ERA (now 1.13) hopped over 1.00 for the first time since since May 20. Boy, we’re spoiled.
- Video: Kris Bryant hits a grand slam as part of a two-homer, six-RBI night 6
- Stephen Strasburg exits start with tightness in left side 9
- In the wake of the Miguel Cabrera injury the Tigers have few good options 18
- Mets general manager Sandy Alderson says Terry Collins’ job is safe 11
- Calf injury sends Miguel Cabrera to the disabled list for the first time in his career 7
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 27
- Rangers designate Neftali Feliz for assignment, activate Matt Harrison 9
- Anibal Sanchez loses his bid for a no-hitter with one out in the eighth inning 11
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)