Jun 12, 2010, 9:41 AM EDT
Ubaldo Jimenez tossed his “worst” start of the season in a rain-shortened affair against the Blue Jays on Friday night, allowing a season-high three runs while walking five over six innings. Still, it was just enough to push Jimenez to his major-league best 12th victory of the season, as the Rockies won the game 5-3.
The start of the game was delayed for an hour and 45 minutes and Jimenez told Joey Nowak of MLB.com that he had a hard time being out there at all.
“It wasn’t easy to be out there,” Jimenez said. “I didn’t have any feel
for any of my pitches, even my fastball. I was trying to throw hard and I
couldn’t. … The ball just slipped out my fingers most of the time.
Everything was wet. I couldn’t push off the mound.”
If you didn’t see it, the image to the right simply won’t do the night justice. Russ Oates of Purple Row has a picture of what the grounds crew had to deal with.
It wasn’t pretty, but this victory goes in the books as Jimenez’s third complete-game of the season. His ERA (now 1.13) hopped over 1.00 for the first time since since May 20. Boy, we’re spoiled.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 38
- Cliff Lee placed on DL with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 27
- Winners and losers at the trade deadline 45
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 49
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 137
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 91
- The Lester trade is a win-win 113
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 165
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (201)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (137)
- Tampa Bay news station tweets classless Detroit joke following David Price trade (128)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (126)