Jun 12, 2010, 9:41 AM EST
Ubaldo Jimenez tossed his “worst” start of the season in a rain-shortened affair against the Blue Jays on Friday night, allowing a season-high three runs while walking five over six innings. Still, it was just enough to push Jimenez to his major-league best 12th victory of the season, as the Rockies won the game 5-3.
The start of the game was delayed for an hour and 45 minutes and Jimenez told Joey Nowak of MLB.com that he had a hard time being out there at all.
“It wasn’t easy to be out there,” Jimenez said. “I didn’t have any feel
for any of my pitches, even my fastball. I was trying to throw hard and I
couldn’t. … The ball just slipped out my fingers most of the time.
Everything was wet. I couldn’t push off the mound.”
If you didn’t see it, the image to the right simply won’t do the night justice. Russ Oates of Purple Row has a picture of what the grounds crew had to deal with.
It wasn’t pretty, but this victory goes in the books as Jimenez’s third complete-game of the season. His ERA (now 1.13) hopped over 1.00 for the first time since since May 20. Boy, we’re spoiled.
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 118
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 40
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 368
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 33
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (368)
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (308)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (118)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (85)