Jun 13, 2010, 11:29 AM EDT
ESPN The Magazine ran a poll recently asking 100 unnamed MLB players to rank the best and worst umpires in the game.
Jim Joyce, who blew Tigers starter Armando Galarraga’s bid for a perfect game two weeks ago, was given top billing in the poll and it wasn’t even close. Tim McClelland came in second and Jim Wolf was ranked third. CB Bucknor, Joe West and Angel Hernandez were ranked among the worst.
Joyce drew praise for owning up to his mistake and clearly showing remorse when he denied Galarraga history in June. Many players and fellow umpires came forward in defense of the man, and now it’s pretty clear to see that he is widely respected.
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 0
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 6
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 24
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- 2015 Preview: Pittsburgh Pirates 12
- 2015 Preview: San Diego Padres 22
- MLB is looking into some strange gambling tweets involving Marlins pitcher Jarred Cosart 46
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (113)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras (76)
- Andrew McCutchen cut his hair for the first time in eight years (75)