Jun 13, 2010, 11:29 AM EDT
ESPN The Magazine ran a poll recently asking 100 unnamed MLB players to rank the best and worst umpires in the game.
Jim Joyce, who blew Tigers starter Armando Galarraga’s bid for a perfect game two weeks ago, was given top billing in the poll and it wasn’t even close. Tim McClelland came in second and Jim Wolf was ranked third. CB Bucknor, Joe West and Angel Hernandez were ranked among the worst.
Joyce drew praise for owning up to his mistake and clearly showing remorse when he denied Galarraga history in June. Many players and fellow umpires came forward in defense of the man, and now it’s pretty clear to see that he is widely respected.
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 0
- Matt Cain is going to pay a visit to Dr. Andrews 3
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode 61
- The Red Sox are expected to deal Jon Lester and the Pirates are a “dark horse” 29
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 48
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter passes Carl Yastrzemski for seventh on all-time hits list 68
- Ray Rice is awful, but let’s not pretend baseball has a great record on domestic violence 91
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 50
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (156)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (99)