Jun 13, 2010, 11:29 AM EDT
ESPN The Magazine ran a poll recently asking 100 unnamed MLB players to rank the best and worst umpires in the game.
Jim Joyce, who blew Tigers starter Armando Galarraga’s bid for a perfect game two weeks ago, was given top billing in the poll and it wasn’t even close. Tim McClelland came in second and Jim Wolf was ranked third. CB Bucknor, Joe West and Angel Hernandez were ranked among the worst.
Joyce drew praise for owning up to his mistake and clearly showing remorse when he denied Galarraga history in June. Many players and fellow umpires came forward in defense of the man, and now it’s pretty clear to see that he is widely respected.
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (244)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (144)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (130)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)