Jun 13, 2010, 3:30 PM EDT
Joe Strauss of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch published a fascinating piece Sunday morning on the once-tumultuous relationship between Cardinals center fielder Colby Rasmus and veteran manager Tony La Russa.
Rasmus was selected 28th overall in the 2005 MLB amateur draft and has already established himself as an important part of the Cardinals both at the plate and in the field.
A streaky hitter and a typical coach’s son, Rasmus sought guidance from his father when he began struggling last season. That, at first, rubbed La Russa the wrong way, but he has since embraced it.
“I don’t have a problem with it,” La Russa said last week in Los
Angeles. “I’ve talked to his father about what he teaches, what he
sees. He knows Colby better than anybody. If he helps Colby, he helps
In turn, Colby has warmed to the sometimes-stubborn but always faithful La Russa.
“I come from such a different place,” the Phenix City, Alabama native told the Post-Dispatch. “We’ve been through some pretty tough times. I mean,
last year I didn’t even open my mouth. I can handle it when he gets on
me. But he’s old school. Sometimes I don’t understand the way he’s
going about it. He’s a real smart guy. I’m not that smart. I’ve just
played baseball since I could walk, and some of those things he talks
about I didn’t understand.”
Rasmus, 23, is hitting .290 this season with a spectacular .397 on-base percentage, a .568 slugging percentage, 11 home runs and 30 RBI through 176 at-bats. Considered a five-tool prospect when he was drafted, the youngster has also swiped eight bases this year and appears primed for several future 20 HR-20 SB campaigns.
- Blue Jays manager John Gibbons will return in 2015 3
- HBT Daily: Why did Frank Wren get the axe? 2
- John Schuerholz defines “The Braves Way.” And it’s a pretty big pile of crap. 57
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 26
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 42
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 46
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 58
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (124)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (109)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (89)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (87)