Jun 13, 2010, 4:12 PM EDT
Nationals phenom Stephen Strasburg just completed his second major league start, a strong 5.1-inning performance on the road against the Indians.
He served up a home run, just as he did in his impressive 14-strikeout debut last week. He also walked five batters, showing a lack of control that he never once displayed while tearing through the minor leagues. But Strasburg still flashed impressive velocity and movement, and now boasts 22 strikeouts through his first 12.1 innings of Major League Baseball. He allowed only two hits.
Jayson Stark of ESPN.com tracked Strasburg’s fastball throughout the day and found nine pitches of 100 MPH, 31 at 98 MPH or higher and 40 at 97 MPH and above. The 21-year-old was bringing heat yet again and departed with a 6-1 lead. He’s in line for his second consecutive victory and will finish the day 2-0 with a 2.19 ERA if the Nats are able to hang on.
Strasburg’s arrival has not only been good for the Nationals, but also the cities he will pitch in over the remaining months of the 2010 season. Today’s start drew 32,876 fans at Cleveland’s Progressive Field, the best crowd that stadium has seen since the Indians’ home opener.
- Reds finally shut down Devin Mesoraco seven weeks after hip injury, surgery may be needed 4
- Mike Napoli continues to kill the Angels 5
- Brian Matusz suspended eight games for a foreign substance 11
- Settling the Scores: Memorial Day Edition 55
- Giants designate Casey McGehee for assignment 25
- Yan Gomes returns to the Indians’ lineup after missing six weeks with a sprained right knee 0
- Marlins jump in Clevelander pool after snapping losing streak 22
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 19
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)