Jun 14, 2010, 9:17 PM EST
While appearing on “The Michael Kay Show” on ESPN 1050 in New York on Monday, Bobby Valentine confirmed that he did interview for the Orioles’ managerial vacancy last week, according to ESPN.com.
“I did go down there and I did talk with the owner [Peter Angelos] and
the general manager [Andy MacPhail] and they have a whole lot of
problems and they seem like they’re really putting their heads together
to try to solve them somehow, some way,” Valentine said on the show.
Valentine refused to get into specifics regarding the O’s job, however he did shed some light on whether he would be willing to accept the opportunity.
“It’s a big challenge,” Valentine said on the show. “I like big
challenges, but I like to have some reward too, and the reward is in the
standings and their standings don’t look like they’re going to turn
around very quickly.”
You can listen to the full interview here.
The Orioles have already interviewed Valentine and former Indians’ skipper Eric Wedge, but don’t expect there to be a speedy conclusion here. Just a short while ago, Orioles president Andy MacPhail told Brittany Ghiroli of MLB.com that the managerial search may continue into the offseason.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 307
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (134)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)