Jun 14, 2010, 9:17 PM EDT
While appearing on “The Michael Kay Show” on ESPN 1050 in New York on Monday, Bobby Valentine confirmed that he did interview for the Orioles’ managerial vacancy last week, according to ESPN.com.
“I did go down there and I did talk with the owner [Peter Angelos] and
the general manager [Andy MacPhail] and they have a whole lot of
problems and they seem like they’re really putting their heads together
to try to solve them somehow, some way,” Valentine said on the show.
Valentine refused to get into specifics regarding the O’s job, however he did shed some light on whether he would be willing to accept the opportunity.
“It’s a big challenge,” Valentine said on the show. “I like big
challenges, but I like to have some reward too, and the reward is in the
standings and their standings don’t look like they’re going to turn
around very quickly.”
You can listen to the full interview here.
The Orioles have already interviewed Valentine and former Indians’ skipper Eric Wedge, but don’t expect there to be a speedy conclusion here. Just a short while ago, Orioles president Andy MacPhail told Brittany Ghiroli of MLB.com that the managerial search may continue into the offseason.
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 14
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 26
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 26
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 70
- Clown shoes in Chicago: the Cubs grounds crew couldn’t get the tarp on the field 58
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 69
- Tony La Russa denies that Kirk Gibson’s job is safe 22
- Pirates activate Andrew McCutchen from the disabled list 2
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco (70)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (69)