Jun 14, 2010, 9:17 PM EDT
While appearing on “The Michael Kay Show” on ESPN 1050 in New York on Monday, Bobby Valentine confirmed that he did interview for the Orioles’ managerial vacancy last week, according to ESPN.com.
“I did go down there and I did talk with the owner [Peter Angelos] and
the general manager [Andy MacPhail] and they have a whole lot of
problems and they seem like they’re really putting their heads together
to try to solve them somehow, some way,” Valentine said on the show.
Valentine refused to get into specifics regarding the O’s job, however he did shed some light on whether he would be willing to accept the opportunity.
“It’s a big challenge,” Valentine said on the show. “I like big
challenges, but I like to have some reward too, and the reward is in the
standings and their standings don’t look like they’re going to turn
around very quickly.”
You can listen to the full interview here.
The Orioles have already interviewed Valentine and former Indians’ skipper Eric Wedge, but don’t expect there to be a speedy conclusion here. Just a short while ago, Orioles president Andy MacPhail told Brittany Ghiroli of MLB.com that the managerial search may continue into the offseason.
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 70
- The Reds’ and Pirates’ benches cleared after Brandon Phillips was hit with a pitch 47
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 9
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 36
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 11
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 32
- Clayton Kershaw blanks the Angels over eight innings, runs consecutive scoreless innings streak to 37 20
- Clayton Kershaw and Mike Trout make MLB history in Saturday’s matchup 14
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (205)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)