Jun 14, 2010, 12:44 PM EDT
Jeff Weaver and Jered Weaver have faced each other before on the mound, but yesterday one brother stepped into the batter’s box against the other brother for the first time.
Jeff entered the game in the top of the third inning in relief of Dodgers starter Carlos Monasterios and then led off the bottom of the frame against Jered. Jeff ended up taking a called third strike from Jered, and then afterward called him “a wuss” for throwing an off-speed pitch.
Not only was it the first time one Weaver had pitched to the other, it was the first pitcher-batter matchup for any brother combination since Ruddy Lugo and Julio Lugo in 2007. And that one isn’t nearly as amusing, because Julio Lugo is a hitter (technically, at least).
One inning later Jered grounded out against Jeff, but despite making contact admitted that Jeff “is the better hitter of the two of us.” I’ll give Angels manager Mike Scioscia the final word: “At least Jered put the ball in play.” Jeff Weaver pitched well in relief, allowing one run in 2.1 innings, but Jered Weaver picked up his sixth victory with a Quality Start.
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 43
- Drooling over Miguel Sano’s incredible numbers through 50 career games 33
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired 103
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results 81
- Yankees reveal Mark Teixeira’s shin injury is “more than we thought” 16
- There’s a chicken pox outbreak in the Royals’ clubhouse and multiple players are infected 28
- Shoeless Joe Jackson is not being reinstated 67
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 66
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (103)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (89)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (87)
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results (81)